Shipping gouging

shannonc60

So I wanted to order some 1:48 scale minis from an online store. I just received an order from the same store for some 1:48 items and they arrived in a tiny box, no problems. I was charged $22 for shipping and the postage label said it cost $11. I want to order some more 1:48 things, which would weigh just a smidge more than the previous order, and this time, the shopping cart wants to charge me $44. I emailled the store and they said if it was less than $44 they'd give me store credit. Which means to recoup my money, I need to order from them again and pay exhorbitant shipping. 

I ensure I only charge actual shipping for my sales in Etsy. Why do these businesses think it's Ok to charge 4 times the actual shipping cost? Is it illegal in Canada to do this?

This drives me crazy. The shipping to Australia is so random and differs from vendor to vendor. You can look at the same item on ebay from two different sellers and the shipping quote can vary by $100!!!

They should be refunding the difference of the actual charges if they have over-quoted in my opinion. I have noticed that Canadian companies & sellers quote the most expensive shipping of all. It amazes me because England is just as far if not further but the shipping to Oz is much more reasonable. I think it's to do with competition on Air Freight routes that makes airlines sell their belly space at cheaper rates therefore making the postage cheaper. There are a lot more carriers on the Europe route than on the Americas route.

The price we pay for living in paradise. :D

Agreed Samantha! I have noticed Canadian shipping to be very expensive. The fact the price was printed on the shipping label made me realise though how easily they can skim a little extra money from everyone. Annoying. I generally shop around for cheapest shipping rates too. It can make a huge difference to the price of stuff.

I know your pain!  I don't understand why sellers think it is ok to charge outrageous shipping prices.  I buy from Canada and the UK (sometimes Australia) and know the difference of actual rates and gouging.  It only hurts them, as I have a mental list.  I have sellers (in the US as well) I won't purchase from.  Right now on eBay there is a set of dormer windows I would like.  They are asking $25 for a pair, shipping $41!  Seriously?!  I sell on eBay and know what shipping rates should be.  I charge what it cost me to ship.

There are some sellers who will gouge wherever they think they can get away with it.  Like Matt, I won't deal with them, and it's a very big reason I decided either to make things myself or do without.

Agreed Holly and Matt. I also generally avoid such sellers and online stores. It is just surprising because I would've thought that every customer counts these days. How do they balance their books for tax with all these extra shipping overcharges?

I wonder about the Ebay global shipping program too.. It seems to vary wildly in price and I assume that the seller just gives weight and dimensions and ebay calculate the cost from that. If sellers are conservative and overestimate.. what happens to all the extra money?.. Who gets it?...  I don't see ebay giving refunds... *rolls eyes*