I need help!!

Mary11

I'm redoing my Yorktown. I have all my baseboards off and most of the ceiling molding. There are some moldings I can't get good leverage on to pry them off. There are two chimneys on the roof so I can't tip her upside down and I can't get into it if I lay her down on her front. My question is, should I take the roof and third floor off, take it all apart or leave it together and continue to wrestle with her? Thanks.

IMG_4384.JPG

Did the top floor have a joint like this one before your bash?

With my Walmer I couldn't remove the trim since it was a building component. I had to inlay sheets of 1/8 plywood onto the walls, ceilings and floors to make them even with the thick moulding. It was expensive and made the house heavier but very sturdy. I had no choice. Definitely a design flaw having those bulky edges around the floors and ceiling.  Did you carve all of that away?  If it's the same design then I'm not surprised you are having difficulty.

To answer your question, if the roof will come off easily, I'd go ahead and remove it. Then you can sand the walls well and reglue the structure.

image.jpeg

I removed the baseboards that I bought for her. I got most of the thick crown molding off. It's just a few spots that I can't get off. I only used Elmers glue on her, must have petrified the wood. I thought the thick pieces of wood around the ceiling held it together but she's still sturdy and stuck together. If I remember correctly she had grooves in her floors that slipped right into the wall sections. In most of the rooms I'm going to lay "hardwood floors" so that will cover where I there are gaps from the baseboards being taken out. All the wood came off really easy and mostly in one piece. There are just three pieces left and they're being a bit rebellious. Okay, I'll try that. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Did the top floor have a joint like this one before your bash?

With my Walmer I couldn't remove the trim since it was a building component. I had to inlay sheets of 1/8 plywood onto the walls, ceilings and floors to make them even with the thick moulding. It was expensive and made the house heavier but very sturdy. I had no choice. Definitely a design flaw having those bulky edges around the floors and ceiling.  Did you carve all of that away?  If it's the same design then I'm not surprised you are having difficulty.

To answer your question, if the roof will come off easily, I'd go ahead and remove it. Then you can sand the walls well and reglue the structure.

image.jpeg

It looked like this before and after. Which house do you have?

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4387.JPG

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Mine is an Olde Towne. Are you the original owner?

Yes, I am. Built it myself. It was the third house I made, I think I built it around 1981. She's been through a lot but stayed tough all these years. They certainly stick together well. While looking up mine, I've ran across yours occasionally. Never found any pics of the one I have. It's like they sold a handful and that was it.

22 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

Try warming the pieces to be removed with a hair dryer. 

That's how I got the rest of the wood off. It came off really easy. These last few pieces are just hard to get leverage on them. I'll find a way.