How should I modify the back wall for shadow box?

Luanne

Happy mini weekend,

I'd like to improve this shadow box for my mother in law.  What should I do for the back wall?  add fences, stones, bricks to the entire wall and do not include the kids' picture at all? 

It's supposed to be a corner garden that she can imagine chilling out.  Her real house has white bricks just like the left wall.

The original idea was just to use brown card stock on the back wall with the picture in the middle.  Would that be to plain? 

I think It'd be tougher to leave a spot for the picture removable but I can try. 

The ideas I have so far are: add more plants, make a tray with cookies, drink, add a door to the right wall.  That's all. I am stuck with how to improve this. Thanks for thinking with me. :) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54971771@N04/albums/72157627540738549

• Like 1

What a fun project! Just off the top of my head, I like what you've done with the brick wall, the steps, the bench and the patio blocks. It has the beginnings of a lovely vignette. I would add a door on the right side so the steps lead up to something besides a blank wall. Then on the back side, I'd put in a wall of some kind at least halfway up -- bricks, picket fence with foliage/ivy --  even if it's a photo/mural of a wall with some bits added to make it 3D -- and then enlarge the photo so it reaches from one side to the other, with the kids seen above the wall/fence. If enlarging isn't an option, then center it and add trees or a trellis or something to fill in the gaps on both sides. And since the photo is obviously fall, I'd add some colored leaves on the ground, maybe a pumpkin or gourds, maybe a fan rake to take care of the leaves. 

Awesome ideas! Thanks.  The picture is removable now, but I might cut out the back and make it removable in case she wants another picture in there. 

The idea of the kids popping out behind the fence is cute. 

I'll make the door  and the gourds, pumpkin today . She has a red door in real life so more fall colors. 

Have you tried Paper-Tole?  It's a method of layering the same picture to give it depth.  I did that to the back wall of this roombox, which is actually a cigar box that is only 2" deep ...  If you look closely on the sides, you can see the depth of the box and the crease on the paper. I printed this scene 3 times, cutting out portions of it and layering them.  I explained how I did it my gallery:  Paper Tole layering.  

Making Progress

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luanne said:

I'll have to find out what her interest it.  She used to sew a lot.

Wow- I have to check out Paper tole. That looks fantastic!  

Thanks guys,

L.

A book or whatever represents something she would go outdoors and sit in a lovey garden to do.

15 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Have you tried Paper-Tole?  It's a method of layering the same picture to give it depth.  I did that to the back wall of this roombox, which is actually a cigar box that is only 2" deep ...  If you look closely on the sides, you can see the depth of the box and the crease on the paper. I printed this scene 3 times, cutting out portions of it and layering them.  I explained how I did it my gallery:  Paper Tole layering.  

Making Progress

This is amazing!!!

• Like 1