Cutting multiple layers of mat board

Bellarose55

Hello,

I am wanting to make 1:12 scale doll house furniture that calls for cutting curved pieces of mat board. I have arthritis and am not looking forward to the pain this will cause. Any suggestions that will make this job easier"  Should I purchase a dremel moto saw?

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Bellarose55 said:

Hello,

I am wanting to make 1:12 scale doll house furniture that calls for cutting curved pieces of mat board. I have arthritis and am not looking forward to the pain this will cause. Any suggestions that will make this job easier"  Should I purchase a dremel moto saw?

Thank you!

If you use a gentle approach, making multiple light passes rather than bearing down, would that help? I'm thinking a saw will not give you the nice smooth edges you'll want.

You're welcome. Be sure to have a good supply of new blades on hand and change them often. Also, a utility knife/box cutter may be easier on your hands than an eXacto knife. 

Belinda, I'm 75 with osteoarthritis in hands & wrists,  I love my box-cutter!  To cut four pieces of a shape trace your pattern and cut around it allowing yourself 1/2" or so of border, and cut three more pieces the same size.  With the pattern piece on top, stack your matboard pieces and use masking tape around the border you've left yourself to hold them snugly together whilst you cut them out.  Go slow, change your blades often. I like to work in basswood and use my box cutter on pieces up to 1/4"; more than that I use DH's bandsaw.