What did I do?

Lizzy

Hello!

I am new to this great adveture of creating big amazing things out of small things. I am a sahm that wanted something to do for herself. I found a old dollhouse that i have gutted. I mean I ripped the doors off, popped windows off, floors...gone. I gutted the entire house. I am now trying to figure out what to do now. Where do I start?

I feel like I should have done more research before I started. Looking forward to this journey and learning.

Sable,

I think it is a Dura Craft San Francisco.. Sable, I am highly embarrassed because I feel like I destroyed it. I want it to be magical and special. This sounds so cheesy, but I want it to be a reflection of me. I would love to do libray with wing back chairs.  Do you have any advice?

Edited by Lizzy
  • Like 1

Okay.. Breathe... Nothing is unfixable unless you have left yourself with a pile of sticks.. lol

Can you show us some pictures so we can give better advice?

I would sand and prime to start with as Sable said... You are going to do fine!

Welcome to the little family.  Is it one of the all-wood models or the MF SF558?  if you measure all the door and window openings  you can order components that will fit, or will need jut a bit of trimming or padding (if you're feeling really adventurous you can even make your own new doors & windows), and new interior walls and floors can be cut and installed (after priming, as has been suggested).  I would definitely get your door & window replacements & make any adjustments for them, then work on decorating and any other adjustments you want before installing those doors and windows.  The SF555 was the first-ever kit I ever built, and I learned a lot doing it; and I have learned even more since that build.  Be prepared to have fun.  take your time, and don't be afraid of do-overs.

Unless you set fire to it, you'll be fine. Take it one step at a time. What would be your next step? Prime and paint ceilings? Replace flooring? Paint or wallpaper walls?

Make a list of every possible thing that will need to be done, then put that list in some sort of logical order -ceilings before floors, walls after floors, trim last, etc.

Did you save all of the pieces that you've removed?

• Like 1

Search Pinterest or the net for images of dollhouse libraries. Start looking for fabrics for your chairs. You may find some really stunning scenes to emulate. I do that. I try to replicate real life settings.  Here is a fireplace I am replicating for my current build.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120704

2 minutes ago, Sable said:

Search Pinterest or the net for images of dollhouse libraries. Start looking for fabrics for your chairs. You may find some really stunning scenes to emulate. I do that. I try to replicate real life settings.  Here is a fireplace I am replicating for my current build.

Where?

I grab  old issues of Architectural Digest in thrift stores when I see things I want to try to duplicate in mini.

Thank you, dear; that's going to be a lovely fireplace.  Thanks for the inspiration link.  In our house we make do with bookcases; each bedroom has at least three, plus four in the living room and there's still an overflow!