Pinning Greenleaf doors

dirtmidget33

Does anyone have a good method for pinning Greenleaf plywood doors. I want to use pins on house do to kids using it. Doll house hinges while for most part are scale don't hold up to being played with and over time any flexible hinge will wear out. Debating if I want to try come up with good way to pin the plywood or make new doors.

Wally, when I hinge Greenleaf doors I use strips of chamois or twill tape sandwiched between the two pieces..  Tyvek is probably more durable for children.  When I built the Washington I made all new doors and windows and pin-hinged them this way:

First I traced the door opening onto  sheet of 1/4" graph paper and used 1/4" stripwood to build a box to fit it precisely.  I set that within the tracing and traced the inside and used that tracing to make my basic door, which I proceeded to trim out:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

I sanded the hinge edge of the door and then set it into the box and clamped it vertically into the bench vise and drilled a small starter hole and gently hammered a steel dressmaker's pin into one end of the door.  Then I rotated the door 180 degrees and replaced it in the vise, marking which side I needed the second pin to go, and repeated the process.  I clipped the excess pins close to the outside of the box, gently tapped the cut ends flush with the hammer and carefully painted the assembly, added the doorknobs and glued the box into the opening.  Then I fit, cut, assembled and painted my framing pieces and glued them into place.  I made a window in the front door:

parlor 2.JPG

I made a Dutch door for the kitchen using craft sticks and drilled corresponding holes in the top of the bottom part and the bottom of the top part for the pin I used there:

56d51bfb1e535-1kitchen.JPG

• Like 1