Need Road Advice & Street Signs

Sable

For our club's "It Takes A Village" show project, I need to make streets and sidewalks. The sidewalks are in process. I am pouring and smoothing premixed sanded grout onto a form. Each form is 3'x18" and is long enough to be placed in front of one house. I have to make 25 of them. Eeeeek!  The road is stil questionable. I used flat black paint and sprayed over long styrofoam panels. Not loving it.  I spent most of the afternoon looking for cheap yoga mats for the road but the ones I found to be perfect are really expensive.

Also, does anyone have a link to premade road signs?  

Any ideas on this will be greatly appreciated.

I dunno if it will fit the look you are going for, but have you thought about maybe trying black sandpapper? I like those for street dioramas, they're cheap and look like asphalt but I haven't tried them in larger scales. 

About the road signs, what kind are you looking for?For 1:12 scale? 

As Ashley Said, depending on the look you are after, what about a piece of grey felet and then roll on asphalt grey paint on top to cerat the texture and a slight "stiffness" to the clot?

It is 1:12 scale. About 25 Primrose dollhouses set up in a village setting. I'm going to head to Grainger to look at the sandpaper. The widest paper that comes on 30' rolls is only 4.5" wide so I'd need about 3 rolls at $60 per roll. My budget can't handle that much. But I'll have a look and see what they have. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Anna said:

As Ashley Said, depending on the look you are after, what about a piece of grey felet and then roll on asphalt grey paint on top to cerat the texture and a slight "stiffness" to the clot?

Thanks. I'll test that out, too.

Had another thought tight Now when I used the cork board, what about using cork sheet, has a lovley texture to it and takes  paint well too. I have seen rolls of thin cork, even so called cork fabric....

• Like 1

Pre-made are pricey.  :deal:

Make your own if possible.

Sign posts: Skewers or dowels about 1/8" dia. - cut 8-1/8" long, painted sliver / grey color for galvanized look - drill holes into (village) base to hold posts.

Street signs could be done in a wood look, black on white, or white on green, etc., they're a rectangle basically. Printed, then glued to poster board, painted grey (back & edge), then sign color (front)

Anna's suggested site - http://blog.modeljunkyard.com/2011/05/28/free-tutorial-making-road-signs/  has a tutorial that uses soda can metal - glue the printed sign to it!  Plus the sign printies - use you printer's Reduce/Enlarge to scale the signs.  I know the STOP sign is 30" across @ 1/12 that would be 2-1/2"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sable said:

It is 1:12 scale. About 25 Primrose dollhouses set up in a village setting. I'm going to head to Grainger to look at the sandpaper. The widest paper that comes on 30' rolls is only 4.5" wide so I'd need about 3 rolls at $60 per roll. My budget can't handle that much. But I'll have a look and see what they have. Thanks.

Sable have a look at skateboard grip tape. I remember it being pretty cheap and coming in rolls. It would be sturdier than the sandpaper. Good luck! It sounds like such a fun group project!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Check out your goodwill or thrift stores.  I find a lot of everyday items that can be used.  You might find the yoga mat there.  I find lots of mini pattern materials  (children clothes, men's shirts etc)  I have even used an old tie for upholstery 

The old wide polyester neckties have the best designs for mini upholstery!

large.57733a8abf2a7_knowlesettee.JPG.f04first residents, Rose & Reggie.jpggallery_8_1103_196265.jpg

• Like 1