Interior doors fix

thresadep

I have the interior doors for my colonial house that are really plain and in need of some style. They are made of a wood sandwich with what looks like cork board in between. I am afraid to do any cutting into flat part to make panels. Unless there is an easy technique that you all know of? 

What about making panels and gluing them onto the front and back? What would i use? I tried Popsicle sticks. They kept splitting when I cut them. (of course my scissors are not sharp lol ) Any other ideas?  I did buy some new black hinges. Not yet sure on the color of the doors.

size 4 in wide and 6 1/2 long.

Not even sure I could buy doors to fit. Although, with the trim and such, I think it would work. Still, 7 doors would not be cheap.

Welcome any advice. :)

bare door.jpg

Holly- just wanna say that I am glad that I am not the only one that has a work bench that looks like that!  ;)

I like Vicki's idea of using cardstock to create the panel details for your doors.  Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Holly- just wanna say that I am glad that I am not the only one that has a work bench that looks like that!  ;)

I like Vicki's idea of using cardstock to create the panel details for your doors.  Easy peasy.

I have also used cardstock to make window frames, etc.  Jackie, that was the old desk I used to use in the Havana house; then one Christmas Santa/ DH brought me a beautiful new maple workbench from Harbor Freight that looks almost as bad by now:

mirroring the bedroom walls

I'm with the others' suggestions, with a nice clean slate like that is easier to glue in the details you want than trying to carve them in. Cardstock is a good option if you are going to have painted doors. I also like to use wood trims, requires a bit more of assembly and planning but if you have lots leftover is a nice way to reuse shorter bits of wood.

I like to use thin basswood strips or trim to add visual interest to doors.

This is a door in the Rosedale, I glued casing onto the plywood that came with the kit:

rosedale-laststuff15.jpg

This is a fake closet door in the Victorianna, I glued strip wood and door casing onto a blank wall to give the illusion that it's a door:

victorianna142.jpg

Here's another fake door made with casing:

book-roombox10.jpg

book-roombox22.jpg

• Like 4

I used some left over cereal box to make the trim.  Made use of the punch out wood left over from dollhouse kit to trace the shapes.  I may need to redo some as this is my first attempt. Not sure If i should use thicker cardboard? Not too crazy about the bottom rectangles.  I had one heck of a time making those edges straight. Maybe do a square on bottom using basswood? Then again, i don't want to overthink this and make it harder then needed. This is just a dry fit. I will have to make tweaks. I really like the casing look. I have 2 doors that are not as wide that I may do that effect to. This has been a great help! Thanks. I have new black hinges to add on and going to get black knobs. I seen a video on youtube where map pins were  spray painted then used as knobs,

door trim.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good to me! I know it's easier to see the flaws in your own work specially with miniatures, but don't stress too much about the cutting. Even if you try to be super 100% accurate it's impossible to do it manually, no point scraping work for a fraction of a milimetre off, and everything looks better after painting anyways :)