Roofing materials

Littlebirdieb

Good Morning, I have two questions about roofing materials. Let me preface by stating that the Green Leaf directions specifically state not to use a water soluable rubber cement because it will cause the shingles to curl. I have searched everywhere for a rubber cement that is not and all I can find is the regular Elmer's variety. So, my first question is whether or not a tube of Permatex Contact Cement from Tractor Supply will work. It is not water solvable and must be cleaned with lacquer thinner. My concern is that the packaging states that it bonds to rubber,glass, and metal. I also wanted to find something with a brush rather than squeezing from a tube. Second, I recently saw a dollhouse roofed with actual, or very good artificial roofing shingles. Does anyone know if those are available for purchase? Does anyone know how to make them? I have about 1000+ bricks to cut from egg carton today and my hands may tell my head and heart that the roofing shingles are not going to happen. I'm stubborn so if anyone knows how to do the shingles my hands may just have to suffer. Thank you all for your help! Oh, and one more thing. I used my Christmas money to but myself a scroll saw this week. I'm starting to go a little nuts. I look for dollhouse items or items to be converted in to dollhouse materials every where I go. I also selected my paint colors! I tell everyone I talk to " I think I've finally found my people." Happy Housing everyone! I'm off to cut bricks !!!!

A lot of the online dollhouse stores recently started selling realistic shingles that come in long strips and are reasonably priced.  I used mine for my Creatin' Contest house and they looked really nice on the house.  As for glue, usually just use craft glue.  I have dollhouses that are 30 years old and still holding together just fine with it.

I've used tacky glue to apply mine but I'm not too sold on using this kind of glue for shingles. It doesn't warp the wood as much as wood glue, and any slight curling can be solved by pressing down each row with masking tape until dry. However... it takes really long to dry, slowing down the process considerably. I've made this choice because it was my first attempt at shingling a house and I was afraid of messing up, tacky glue is easily removable without doing damage to the structure so it seamed like the safer option. Well it worked, but I would have prefered something faster. 

Just to clarify, I would not use RUBBER cement, but CONTACT cement. Rubber cement is meant to be a fairly temporary bond, contact cement is permanent. For gluing shingles, I have used Quick Grip (Walmart, Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, etc.) with good results. I've used Weldwood contact cement for flooring and siding with no problems. Both products are not water based, and need to be used with good ventilation.

Lawanda, I'm going to use those "asphalt" strips from Hobby Lobby, too. What glue did you use that failed?  

You can use water-based craft glue, like Aileen's or Elmer's without experiencing warping. The warping occurs when the entire shingleback, or most of it, is coated with glue. The moisture soaks into the thin wood and causes it to swell; that's what causes warping. That much glue is not necessary. A thin line of glue at the top of the shingle and another thin line of glue across the top of the shingles on the row below is sufficient for a good hold and will not warp. If any irregularity occurs, it can be tamed with a strip of masking tape or painter's tape. As the glue dries, it will flatten out.

You might also try Liquid Nails, not water based, which comes in small tubes more suited to working in miniature. The two-stripe method would work well also. 

• Like 2

I like to simulate asphalt shingles with sandpaper:

large.5741a2fa4033b_farmhousefrontyard.J

although, as you can see I have also used corrugated cardboard to simulate tin roofs.  I have also used construction paper for shingles:

outside

and I also like the Greenleaf wood shingles:

The finished front

For all of them I use regular carpenters wood glue, the same that I use to assemble the kit parts.  The wood shingles might try to curl a bit when the glue is still wet; I lay a sheet of waxed paper over the shingles and clam scrapwood over the top until the shingles are dry.

• Like 1

I used Goop Household to "glue" my shingles which is about $8.00 a tube Canadian $.  I used four tubes to do 3000 shingles for the Garfield.  I also used the same gluefor the Harrison. Not water soluble and stinky but the shingles do not warp and will never in this life time fall off. lol Here's a picture of the Harrison shingles588447f02f1c8_005(4).thumb.JPG.8943bbf31

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If I were to use real slate I think I would also use Quik Grip or Gorilla Glue.

The original Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, so keep that in mind. I think the company has a newer product that doesn't swell, but I don't recall what they call it.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

The original Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, so keep that in mind. I think the company has a newer product that doesn't swell, but I don't recall what they call it.

The non-foaming newer stuff is what I was thinking of.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, georgeoliver said:

I am looking to install the same roof as like this doll house it will be the model for me and i will ask the roof repair expert to install the same like it.

This post has been reported.