Visiting London

Anna

Come Tuesday I Will be in London and we'll be there fort he rest of the week. It is a work-relate visit as it Honda a hugs conference i. Regatta to the digital tools/systems/programs etc för students and school. LOTs of internerings lectures and talks which we have allready signed up for ahead of time so to speak.

We Will be staying at a hotel close to Marble Arch so on walking distance to "Main shopping" areas. I know that themlittle shop in Convent garden is long gone, but were wondering IF there are Amy other vemues, like fabrics or beats perhaps or??? That is recommended? 

We Will most probaböy spend a lot of time as a group (I am Travelling with principal collegues) so it won't be a lot of time spent along so can't be going to far away from city.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

We'll be in London in May. This interests me, too.

Also in Lyon, France.  Any mini shops in that area?

I'll have a look for the Lyon, I have a vague recollection of an article write up,something of the French mini sources. i'll see what I can find.

hugs

1 hour ago, chapchap73 said:

So jealous of both of you!  

It is a treat for sure to participate in these large conferences all aimed within the digital would of teaching, for me, living in the southerm parts of Sweden it is really just a hop, skip and a Jump to go to London, approx as long flight as it is to go to Stockholm.... 

hugs

I stayed across from the Marble Arch, twice. Selfridges is right down the street.  No dollhouse shops nearby though.  The two shops I've been to are 45 minute train rides. If you want their names  and locations I can post them for you.

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

We'll be in London in May. This interests me, too.

Also in Lyon, France.  Any mini shops in that area?

This is what I saw a little something about:

http://www.museeminiatureetcinema.fr/accueil_eng.html

http://www.tourmag.com/Mini-World-Lyon-France-s-first-animated-miniature-park-opens-soon_a81016.html

9 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Oh, thanks, Anna. I had the museum/cinema bookmarked but the miniature park is new to me. Have added it to the Lyon folder!

You are so welcome, looking forward to hearing ( and seeing )all about your trip!

hugs

Here is a link to Molly Cromwell's website.  She takes miniaturists on tours to UK and Europe a few times a year every year.   Her next trip is in May to the UK take a look at her itinerary and you might get some ideas of what to see and do involving miniatures.   I have been to the UK three times but those trips were  before I became seriously interested in minis so I can't help but I did see Queen Mary's Dollhouse on the last visit.

http://mollycromwell.com/news.htm

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

*sigh* I sure hope there will be pictures of any goodies found!

Afcourse!

I saw there is a chain of stores called  Hobbycraft and as it seems there are atleast three around in London. Worth checking out or no?

5 minutes ago, Anna said:

Afcourse!

I saw there is a chain of stores called  Hobbycraft and as it seems there are atleast three around in London. Worth checking out or no?

Hobbycraft are great if you want to pay way over the top prices! I use a 'Swann Morten' scalpel for most of my cutting work. 100 blades from 'Amazon' £9.75...........5 of the same blades from Hobbycraft £7.50..............but they do smile whilst they rob you! Plus.........Hobbycraft are fine if you want to make cards.......and can afford their paper prices.

if you want a serious modelling shop in London head over to 'Tower Bridge' and you are a few minutes walk from 'Lehman Street' and arguably the best model shop in the known universe...............'4D Modeshop' They have stuff there that could satisfy the most demanding miniaturist............When I die I want to go up to 4D!

Forget Hobbycraft and enjoy London...........you'll be so glad you did!..................but! If you really want to get your 'pockets picked'.............take a slow walk down 'Oxford Street'!

LOL Mike, I know that atleast one of My collegues thrives when walking down Oxford atreet so I see us doing that too... me I am looking for eget a Brad shop or a fabric shop and as we stay at the Cumberland hotel as a part of the conference deal we are so close to it to for "strolling" I saw there was a Beading shop close to Piccadily, might be able to visit that. Then we'll just have to see, the schedule is packad with lectures and also a day of visiting schools. All in all a great programme with "small" pockets of time here and there...,

hugs