Building Dollhouses is a thing??

mamabre

I randomly bought some cheap wooden dollhouse furniture and I was painting it to hoard to someday give to my daughter (who is only 13 months old lol) when I stumbled across dollhouse kits online and realized that I could actually build a dollhouse from a kit and I have never been so delighted! haha I cant wait to order a kit and get started :)

Edited by mamabre
  • Like 3

Welcome, and yes it is 'a thing'.

I would say it can in fact be 'anything', a hobby, something fun to share with your family, a form of self expression, a piece of art, an educational tool... it can be whatever you want it to be. You'll find people create dollhouses for a wide variety of purposes, some for play, some for display. They come in many shapes and sizes... dollhouses, cabinets, shelves, roomboxes, shadowboxes, diorama sets... as large as a room or as tiny as the palm of your hand... and each one of them diferent in their own way.

Building a dollhouse for your daughter is a wonderful idea, I'm sure it will bring you both lots of joy. If you haven't decided on a kit yet I would advise you to read some information on dollhouse scales, since you already have some furniture collected you might want to pick one that can best match the size of your furniture. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Have fun!

• Like 4

Thing my left foot! It's an addictive obsession! But from what I understand, collecting miniatures is the third largest hobby in the world after collecting stamps and coins, so it makes sense that people would want a place to store all that stuff. At any rate, it's a marvelous hobby and I guarantee that once you get into it, you'll love it and never want to leave.

• Like 5

Welcome to the little family, Brenda.  Building dollhouses is a hobby or it can be a profession.  After you have built one for your little girl you can build one for yourself.  Houses can be built from kits or from "scratch", and you can make everything you put into them, should you so wish.  Each one of us started out as raw newbies.

• Like 1

Oh yes, it's definitely a "thing".  I personally lack the confidence and (mostly) the time to build, so I collect--thrift shops and yard sales are great sources of inexpensive and prebuilt doll houses--and decorate.

Mini collecting can be anything you like it to be.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎14‎:‎45‎, rodentraiser said:

Thing my left foot! It's an addictive obsession! But from what I understand, collecting miniatures is the third largest hobby in the world after collecting stamps and coins, so it makes sense that people would want a place to store all that stuff. At any rate, it's a marvelous hobby and I guarantee that once you get into it, you'll love it and never want to leave.

6 hours ago, kreativitea75 said:

...and I didn't know miniatures was that popular, Kelly - that's pretty cool!

My DH collects coins and still occasionally grabs the odd philatelic item; but based on the stamp shows we attend we are amongst the youngest people there; at least we still see a few young folks at coin shows.  Maybe world wide, but the way dollhouse miniature brick & mortar stores are closing here, I wonder.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Maybe world wide, but the way dollhouse miniature brick & mortar stores are closing here, I wonder.

I don't see the closing of brick and mortar stores as a lessening of interest in our obsession hobby. I see it more as a result of the growth of on-line shopping. Think about it. The population is growing. With it, the market for clothing is growing. Yet department stores that specialize in clothing are closing right and left. It's not that there is less interest in wearing clothing, eh? We now shop in specialty shops, many of which live on the internet. 

As another marker of interest and participation, miniature trade shows are generally well attended.

• Like 2

Welcome. Be warned that this "thing" can become a whole new way of thinking, besides an interest in architecture and home decorating, to finding ways to use bits of fabrics, plastic packaging (recycling at its best), surfing Pinterest and dollhouse sites and gushing with adoration at all the dh eye candy.

Welcome to the world of the THING!   Bwa-ha-ha!

I remember discovering way back when that I was not the only one who loved miniatures - that there was a whole world full of like-minded people. 

• 2 weeks later...