Why do we look worse in pictures?

Luanne

Today I was feeling pretty since I dressed up and straightened my hair...I was feeling good all day. I needed new pictures to renew my passport so logically I thought today was the day to take care of that....When the lady at Walgreens gave me my pictures, I look 11 years older that what I saw in the mirror today.  Why do pictures reflect a worse version of us v. the one we see in the mirror?  ....Feeling bummed out. 

When you think about it, the lighting in Walgreen's is harsh and unflattering, and they're not going for "attractive" when they're shooting a passport photo.  To anyone who saw you on the street, you probably looked ten times better than you look in the photos.

Did the camera shoot from the neck up or forehead down? Neck- up pictures will always age you. I squat so the camera lens is above my nose, not under my chin.  The worst pictures ever are the ones taken at the airport as you pass thru immigration and customs. That lens looks straight up at your neck. Horrifying when you see them.

• Like 2

Sorry Luanne, I have no good advice for you or any of us.

Photo takers usually ask me, "Do you want to try for a better another shot sir?"

I've given up on those pictures - I just glare at the poor photo taker!

It's the lighting partially, the angle partially, the color of your top (blue is the most flattering for most people--no patterns).  Also, the image in the mirror is in constant (if subtle) motion, and we automatically soften and rearrange our features as we look at ourselves.  There is no feedback in front of the camera, so we simply don't know if we're making a "weird" face.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 49, and I HAVE to wear makeup--especially eyeliner and mascara--for photos or else my eyes disappear.  Also foundation powder for my rosacea.  But ALWAYS eyeliner.

back in my acting days, I learned that if I tell myself a joke just before the picture is taken, and open my eyes ever-so-slightly, (to avoid laugh-squint), my pics turn out great.  Really skilled photographers know how to loosen their subjects up so they look their best, unfortunately, the best photographers do not work at the Walmart or the DMV...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaisyV said:

It's the lighting partially, the angle partially, the color of your top (blue is the most flattering for most people--no patterns).  Also, the image in the mirror is in constant (if subtle) motion, and we automatically soften and rearrange our features as we look at ourselves.  There is no feedback in front of the camera, so we simply don't know if we're making a "weird" face.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 49, and I HAVE to wear makeup--especially eyeliner and mascara--for photos or else my eyes disappear.  Also foundation powder for my rosacea.  But ALWAYS eyeliner.

back in my acting days, I learned that if I tell myself a joke just before the picture is taken, and open my eyes ever-so-slightly, (to avoid laugh-squint), my pics turn out great.  Really skilled photographers know how to loosen their subjects up so they look their best, unfortunately, the best photographers do not work at the Walmart or the DMV...

Same issue here, I have only a handful of photos I am happy with in my lifetime But I love the idea of telling yourself a joke just before the picture is taken.

Because I am always nerved up about the photo before its taken!

I had the same experience when the kid at Fedex/Kinkos took my pic for a passport. It is them, not you. They use the worst angle and fluorescent lighting...the worst.

On the plus side, when people see my passport and driver's license (same problem there), they all say "that isn't a good photo of you!". So rest assured, you DO look better than those photos.

A slightly different slant on what we look like: when I look into a mirror, I see myself with a gorgeous head of champagne blonde hair. But when I get my hair trimmed, the floor is littered with snippets that are entirely and unequivocally gray/white. Maybe this is a corollary of beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

I heard many years ago that a photograph of one's self is a more accurate version of how we look than what we see in the mirror.  There are many websites that explain in detail but the bottom line is when we look at ourselves in a mirror we are seeing a reflection - a reverse image.  A picture from a camera is a real representation of how everyone else sees you.  So many times a photo may look unflattering since you are use to seeing your reverse image in a mirror.   That is not to say that the camera, lighting and/or photographer may be partially to blame for how we look in a photo but it may just be that's how you really look at least to everyone else.

Thanks for cracking me up and making me feel better. This might mean that our office lighting is excellent. :) 

I had on a solid color red shirt.......the photographer didn't even count. But she did smile. 

Thanks for many tips on what to do.. Luckily this picture is only 2x2... imagine if it's bigger. Yikes. 

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎30‎:‎49‎, Sable said:

Did the camera shoot from the neck up or forehead down? Neck- up pictures will always age you. I squat so the camera lens is above my nose, not under my chin.  The worst pictures ever are the ones taken at the airport as you pass thru immigration and customs. That lens looks straight up at your neck. Horrifying when you see them.

YES! When we came through immigration the other day I was horrified..... I told my husband while we were waiting at baggage claim that I was going to start saving up for a face lift...:rofl:

I discovered a horrible thing about my passport pictures. When I first get the passport I am horrified at how bad/old/terrible I look. But when it is time to renew it, and I look at the 10-year-old picture, I think,
"Looking good, Kid!"  :flowers:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017, 8:38:25, queenannediva said:

I heard many years ago that a photograph of one's self is a more accurate version of how we look than what we see in the mirror.  There are many websites that explain in detail but the bottom line is when we look at ourselves in a mirror we are seeing a reflection - a reverse image.  A picture from a camera is a real representation of how everyone else sees you.  So many times a photo may look unflattering since you are use to seeing your reverse image in a mirror.   That is not to say that the camera, lighting and/or photographer may be partially to blame for how we look in a photo but it may just be that's how you really look at least to everyone else.

GAH! No wonder my HS boyfriend told me I had been voted ugliest girl in school...:crazyeyes:  I don't know about the US, but in Canada passport photos and driver's licenses now must have a "neutral" expression. "Neutral" on me looks cranky or exhausted. Depending on how charitable you are feeling. I had my passport photo taken by a friend, who has a photography studio and many years experience....and I look cranky. Or exhausted. :dunno: