Scale Clarification

I'm ordering some accessories and I want to make sure that I understand the scale system.

1 foot is equal to 1 inch in a standard scale dollhouse. So, an item labeled 1/12 is created for the 1 foot =1 inch because there are 12 inches in 1 foot. Is this correct? 

56 minutes ago, Littlebirdieb said:

I'm ordering some accessories and I want to make sure that I understand the scale system.

1 foot is equal to 1 inch in a standard scale dollhouse. So, an item labeled 1/12 is created for the 1 foot =1 inch because there are 12 inches in 1 foot. Is this correct? 

The term "standard scale" can be misleading. 1:12 is a commonly seen scale, but it is not usually referred to as a standard scale. 

On the other hand, "standard scales" (plural) in dollhouse miniatures refers to the most commonly found scales, such as

• 1:12
  • 1:24
  • 1:48
  • 1:144

It can be confusing, but you'll soon feel comfortable with the terminology.

• Like 1

Sometimes the descriptions can be a bit misleading, often they don't list the scale (in numbers) but they specify in the description with other terms (ie. "standard scale" to mean the very popular 1:12). You'll get used to searching with the diferent terms they use for the products, most common I find:

"1 inch scale" - meaning 1:12

"Half inch scale" "G scale"- meaning 1:24, it is actually not the same as 'G scale' as not all train models are made in 1:24

"Quarter inch" "O scale" - meaning 1:48

And too often they label 1:18 scale items as 1:16 and vice versa, if you are not sure check/ask for the actual measurements, most sellers are happy to provide aditional info.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Aren't most Lundby dollhouses & accessories either 1:16 or 1:18 scale?

Ludby is 1:18 scale, that is one brand that is very often 'mis-labeled' on products (sometimes apearing as 1:16, 1:24 or even 1:12), but a lot of their stuff blends well with other scales depending on the item. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Littlebirdieb said:

I'm not sure but I think that the RGT are mostly 1:12. I'm trying to up most post count so I can start a blog!!

RGT will mostly be 1:12, or 1:24...they do a playscale, too - for Barbie. I think those the only scales they do.

20 hours ago, Littlebirdieb said:

I'm trying to up most post count so I can start a blog!!

You can also start a blog on Blogger for free and put a link to it in your signature here. I used to use the blog feature here, but after a couple of upgrades of the site messed up the photo galleries, I lost confidence in it and went the Blogger route. Click on the link under my name to get to my blog. 

You can also add a link to an off-site blog on your Profile page, so folks here can find you easily.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-26 18:59:01, wormwoodz said:

Ludby is 1:18 scale, that is one brand that is very often 'mis-labeled' on products (sometimes apearing as 1:16, 1:24 or even 1:12), but a lot of their stuff blends well with other scales depending on the item. 

Over here Lundby is foten reffered to as a mix between 1/16th items and 1/18th items as the smaller accessories are often a bit larger (hence works well in 1-12) so that the smaller hands can handel them better as the Lundby is seen upon as a toy (yet collectible and gorgeous details) but they are sold in toy stores as a rulle. 

Hugs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Over here Lundby is foten reffered to as a mix between 1/16th items and 1/18th items as the smaller accessories are often a bit larger (hence works well in 1-12) so that the smaller hands can handel them better as the Lundby is seen upon as a toy (yet collectible and gorgeous details) but they are sold in toy stores as a rulle. 

Hugs

Oficially it is 1:18, but yes the accessories tend to be larger than the furniture and sometimes vary wildly, thou they have been a bit more consistent with size in the more recent collections. For toy furniture I find a certain charm in their design that is quite lovelly, specially with the older wood accessories. The turnings and details are usually superb for a toy, and yet kid friendly and safe for play :)

Here's a side by side comparisson: the blue bench on the left and radio on top are vintage Lundby pieces (notice the radio is a bit oversized), the striped sofa on the right is 1:24 scale and the bed behind them is 1:12.

scalecomparisson.jpg

• Like 1