Hot glue!

FrannyAz

Why are you using hot glue?  We recommend a good carpenter's wood glue for assembling the wood parts, and a clear-dying tacky glue for the clear acetate window & door inserts.  Hot glue will melt the plastic.  When I rehab a house that has been built with hot glue I use a heat gun to disassemble it, scrape off all the hot glue and rebuild it using wood glue, usually having to make new doors & windows.  Perhaps a hair dryer will produce enough gentle heat to remove glue strings without damaging the plastic...  Good luck.

Once you have gotten the glue off, take a few minutes to go to the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself.

Pepperskins long underwear come in clear plastic boxes that are perfect replacements for the windows.  I have also used the plastic from the clear plastic report covers.  I have used the transparency film, but I print stained glass windows onto that  and touch it up with glass paint or colored markers.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Perhaps a hair dryer will produce enough gentle heat to remove glue strings without damaging the plastic... 

I think I'd head in the other direction and expose the window to cold to make it brittle and hope I could pop it off. Logic makes me think that heating it would make it stickier, but I don't have any experience with this.

If the window is already in the house and won't fit in the refrigerator or freezer, try hitting it with a blast of canned air for spot cooling.  I know the canned air gets cold as it blows.