It Takes A Village

Sable

Les Petits Collecteurs of South Florida will be putting on our 39th annual show on March 11, 2017 at the Boca Raton Community Center.    Our theme this year is It Takes A Village. Twenty Primrose dollhouses have been built by our members for our theme; sixteen shops, two residential houses, one prison and a gentlemen's club will be on display.

I am currently making about 40 feet of sidewalks out of premixed grout for the village.

Our wonderful Mike (Mesp2k) has prepared a Sketchup plan for me. I can't thank him enough for his effort and ability to read my mind.

image.jpeg

image.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mesp2k said:

...I just got this houseplans.com email about Tiny Homes for the Homeless.

They're building (25) tiny homes in Detroit for homeless people.

...made me think of your Primrose village project... :)

I hope they're really not planning to put a fireplace into any of the houses because fireplaces cost money to maintain. I also question some of the very small kitchens in those houses as well. I realize a lot of people don't like to cook, but it's the cheapest way to eat for people with little money. And as someone who has a very small kitchen, I can already tell you that if you expect people to cook their meals, the kitchen can't be claustrophobic. I think people could do with smaller living rooms and bedroom and larger kitchens. Otherwise, I love some of those plans.

It's quite possible to cook in  kitchen that small, I lived for over a year with DH in a one-room apartment and cooked a wedding supper in it when our next door neighbors got married.  The downside was that when I cooked it defrosted the fridge.  In some of those plans the living room IS the bedroom.  I'm wondering what's upstairs.  I agree about the fireplace & chimney, but maybe when they adapted the plans for the Detroit homeless they left off the fireplaces & chimneys.

29 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

And as someone who has a very small kitchen, I can already tell you that if you expect people to cook their meals, the kitchen can't be claustrophobic. I think people could do with smaller living rooms and bedroom and larger kitchens. Otherwise, I love some of those plans.

14 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

It's quite possible to cook in  kitchen that small, I lived for over a year with DH in a one-room apartment and cooked a wedding supper in it when our next door neighbors got married.  

I disagree, Kelly. I lived on a boat for several years, hosted Thanksgiving and other holiday parties. Loved having everything within reach. Then when I came ashore, my kitchen lacked a stove with oven for a couple years. Made do with microwave, electric wok, a toaster oven, a charcoal grill and a crock pot. Loved to have people over to dinner. Most didn't realize all of the goodies were prepared without oven or stovetop burners. :D  

The kitchen in our Missouri house was about the size of those in the Tiny Houses. The one in our condo is not much larger, although there is a bit more counter space. I'm with Holly ... you don't need a large kitchen to be a reasonably good cook. 

I am completely for these types of communities. I've actually written a paper on them in college (I have a minor in Real Estate Development). However, the last statement in the article refers to children inhabiting these houses. 300 to 400 square feet is not suitable for family life.  It's a fabulous solution for single adults, though.

Ikea has a family living space with everything (kitchen, bed-lofts, living room) for a family of 4, within 200 sq ft.  Better a safe and clean 200 sq feet than nothing at all, ay? If I had 300 sq ft in Manhattan near prime central park area...I'd move the family in. We'd spend a lot of time in community spaces, but that'd be so awesome.

Oh, I agree about being able to cook in that small of a space - the kitchen I currently have is smaller than a lot of walk-in closets. I can post pics if you don't believe me. I'm just saying that in order to encourage people to cook who never have before and probably don't want to, you need to make the kitchen a welcoming place to be. Whacking your arms on the walls isn't one of those ways.

• 1 month later...