Hello from Massachusetts

josiebee

Hi everyone! I am new to building or renovating a dollhouse. Although I have a huge love for them, I never did any building. As a child I played with my mom's, but as time went on it fell apart. Now as an adult I could spend hours looking at someones dollhouse and furniture. My husband came across a dollhouse on Ebay that needs some work and bought it for me. I am so excited about working on it and getting to put all my furniture in it when through. I am a bit overwhelmed, and have been searching a lot of websites on what to do. I guess my first thing I want to do is shingle the roof. I think of an actual home and figure you need to have a good roof to protect it. LOL. This site seems to have lots of helpful people on it, and I look forward to reading and getting lots of useful advise.

Welcome to the little family, Joanne.  Is your house a kit or a stick built?  I think it depends on how well built it is and what all needs doing to bring it up.  I find a lot of areas I need to flip the house on its sides or roof to get to places I need to rehab, and sometimes it's just easier to take the whole thing apart nd start over; but I always do the roof the very last.

Hi, Joanne, and welcome to the forum. When you have made five posts, you can open a personal photo Gallery to show us your house and the progress you make on rehabbing it. Let the house lead the way as you work on it. I like the image of a good roof to protect the house.

I'm working on a Beacon Hill at the moment and also focusing on the roof. I did some major bashing of the rather complicated staircase, then had another bright idea to alter it even more but haven't sorted that out, so the interior work is at a standstill. And I have an idea to change up the porch/entryway that I haven't quite figured out how to do, which is slowing down the exterior work. So, in short order the roof will be the only finished part of the house. (The inhabitants are getting cranky over the delays. Poor little folks can't fire the contractor; they're stuck with me. Am hoping they don't find the phone number for the mini-Better Business Bureau to report me. :D )

• Like 1

Thank you for all your hello's. I just found out I already used up my one post of the day in the F&Q section. Otherwise I would have replied to all. I am in awe of all these gorgeous dollhouses. I will just stop worrying and enjoy the work. It's not a race and can be done at a nice pace. At work today I was itching to get home to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josiebee said:

...I just found out I already used up my one post of the day in the F&Q section. Otherwise I would have replied to all...

Huh?  Who said you could only make one post per day?

Holly,

I can answer you at the bottom where it says "reply to this topic" but I can't hover over your name and pick message. When I do I get a box that says " You are only allowed to send 1 message per day. Please try again later". I assumed it was because I was new here.

34 minutes ago, josiebee said:

Holly,

I can answer you at the bottom where it says "reply to this topic" but I can't hover over your name and pick message. When I do I get a box that says " You are only allowed to send 1 message per day. Please try again later". I assumed it was because I was new here.

That's very strange. I've sent more than one message (PM) per day on a few occasions and not had any problems. Has anyone else run into this glitch?

8 hours ago, josiebee said:

Holly,

Oh, now that's totally weird.  You can also go to the person's profile page to send a message, and I advise that you PM one of the moderators or administrators to alert them to your situation.

I just checked the settings and New Members were only allowed to "start new conversation" one time per day (I think that refers to starting a private message thread, not to starting a forum thread). Once you've made 5 posts and become a Silver Member this setting switches to "unlimited".

It was probably set that way to prevent spammers from sending a bunch of spam messages without ever posting, which has happened in the past. I upped the amount to 5. But since it only takes 5 posts to get out of the New Member group and become a Silver Member, most people who are actively participating in the forum probably never even notice this limit.

Anyway - welcome! What part of MA are you from? I grew up in Newton.

Thanks Emily I guess I will get the hang of this site. I knew I was limited for awhile and I didn't realize I was doing a private message. It is sad that we have to deal with spammers all the time. I am actually in the New Bedford area, probably 1 1/2 hours from Newton so not that far.

8 hours ago, josiebee said:

...I am actually in the New Bedford area...

I lived & worked in New Bedford the whaling city!,

Dartmouth & Fairhaven for a good part of my life!

:wave: Joanne

• Like 1

Hi Mike in Cape Cod.

Love this area, lived here my whole life. Although Cape Cod is the best place to go for ice cream. LOL...Sandwich has this wonderful ice cream place called Twin Acres. We go there about twice a month in the summer. YUMMM

• Like 1

Hi Joanne, Welcome to the forum. :wave: I love Massachusetts but I live a looooooong way from there... lol

Glad you've progressed to silver you'll also be able to post pictures now. Looking forward to seeing what your working on. 

20 hours ago, Samusa said:

Hi Joanne, Welcome to the forum. :wave: I love Massachusetts but I live a looooooong way from there... lol

Glad you've progressed to silver you'll also be able to post pictures now. Looking forward to seeing what your working on. 

Oh my, Australia is quite a ways away. Lol. I'm not much into traveling but Australia is one of my 3 places I would like to see. I'm working on figuring out the picture uploading, I can't seem to do it from my iPhone so I guess I need to use my digital camera. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight 

46 minutes ago, josiebee said:

Oh my, Australia is quite a ways away. Lol. I'm not much into traveling but Australia is one of my 3 places I would like to see. I'm working on figuring out the picture uploading, I can't seem to do it from my iPhone so I guess I need to use my digital camera. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight 

I use my iPhone but I also have an old fashioned AOL email account that gives me the choice to downsize the photos. So I take the pic with my phone, email it to myself as a Medium size. Then post it here.

• Like 1