Beacon Hill: a Garden District Mansion

68 posts in this topic

It does look nice, but I gotta tell ya, it's a little frustrating seeing you try to turn the copper green when I polish my butt off trying to keep my copper pots shiny! :D

2 people like this

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

It does look nice, but I gotta tell ya, it's a little frustrating seeing you try to turn the copper green when I polish my butt off trying to keep my copper pots shiny! :D

I know what you mean. I brought back a set of copper pots from a trip to France years ago, when I was a young wife and all caught up in the excitement. I kept them for years only because I felt guilty to have spent all that money. I wasn't unhappy to let them go when I got more sense. 

This is great Kathie!  I now know what to use on my copper roof areas on the Cape May!

It came out great! I also like the idea of magnets to hold the tower in place. 

Fantastic! Great result that sounds like it's only going to get better... Thanks for doing all that testing so that we all know what to do now. :D

This morning I took advantage of Hobby Builders' Supply 25%-off coupon and ordered the Newel posts, balusters, and handrail for the stairway make-over.  With all of the turns, it may be a challenge. Pondering where to cut but will wait until the parts get here before picking up the saw. I'm planning to stain the pieces before assembly. Hope I can remember what stain I used.

On 6/26/2017, 1:36:10, KathieB said:

The Great Reveal can be seen here. I like what's happening to the copper. 

It looks great! :D 

The components for the staircase makeover arrived today. I did a little bit of staging. I like the way it looks. See it here.

This concept is not original to me. I saw pictures of this kind of staircase that someone else had done beautifully. I thought I saved the photos for reference, but now I can't find them. If anyone can point me toward them, I'd be much obliged.

1 person likes this

I love the new newel posts, and I do remember someone here doing similar, but not who it was.

So here is my take on the aging process.  This is just one application of the solution.  I used vinegar, sea salt, lemon juice, and ammonia.  I didn't have to cover it with plastic (New Orleans humidity took care of that).   Tomorrow I may add another application once I see how it looks when completely dry.

large.2017-07-11_23.45.45.jpg.75fa7cc014large.2017-07-11_23.45.41.jpg.fa638ee000

1 person likes this

Your mixture is aging that copper beautifully, Matt.  What did you use for the ridges on your copper roof?

Nice, Matt. 

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Your mixture is aging that copper beautifully, Matt.  What did you use for the ridges on your copper roof?

I used some 1/8" x 1/8" strip wood glued down.  I then used a small wood block to press the copper sheet into place and fit as tight as I could around them.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Nice, Matt. 

Thanks Kathie!

4 hours ago, Beulah said:

Oh just beautiful

Thank you Beulah!

On 7/4/2017, 2:19:41, KathieB said:

The components for the staircase makeover arrived today. I did a little bit of staging. I like the way it looks. See it here.

This concept is not original to me. I saw pictures of this kind of staircase that someone else had done beautifully. I thought I saved the photos for reference, but now I can't find them. If anyone can point me toward them, I'd be much obliged.

Was it this Willowcrest staircase? http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=122364&browse=1

I think your stairs will be a wonderful addition to your Garden District Mansion. I much prefer  3 dimensional rails. :)

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Was it this Willowcrest staircase? http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=122364&browse=1

I think your stairs will be a wonderful addition to your Garden District Mansion. I much prefer  3 dimensional rails. :)

These stairs are a great reference and helpful, thank you! The ones I am thinking of are in a Beacon Hill. 

I'm working on the straight section first. Leaving the engineering of the ground floor unit with its two landings until I'm comfortable with the transition. Just taking off the original balusters and railing without damaging the stairs was a challenge, but patience, a palette knife and a utility knife got the job done. Will post photos on my blog later today.

1 person likes this

I finally posted the staircase procedures on my blog. Check the progress here.