Greetings from Denise in Saskatchewan

Hello Everyone! I am pleased to find your site and look forward to reading and learning from you all. I am relatively new to the world of miniatures, having only created my first, a beach house, within the past year. But with that, I was hooked! After making the beach house, I made an apartment, a man cave and now am working on a dinner theatre! In the town where I live, miniature supplies are not readily available, and shipping costs are high so I make the majority of items that I use to complete my creations. My creations are not necessarily 'houses', for instance, the man cave is in a wooden Crown Royal whiskey box, the apartment was built into a small drawer.  At the moment, my project is making food items for the banquet table in the dinner theatre, a task that I'm finding to be a bit difficult. I have Fimo, but certainly need improvement in the sculpting department! haha I would love to hear of other materials that perhaps I could use instead of Fimo to create some food items. If anyone has any ideas, I thank you for sharing them with me. I look forward to exploring this site. Thank you.

Welcome to the little family, Denise.  Tissue papers in various shades of green, torn into tiny random bits, make lettuce for salads (I'd wad up the paper and flatten it back out a tad before tearing) and short bits of plastic broom "straw" with one end help briefly in a flame until it begins to puff works for wee mushrooms.  Snippets of colored paper can work for your salad's onions, tomatoes and peppers.  I have used beads for grapes and apples:

havanaholly's apple baskets

• Like 1

Good morning Holly!! Thank you so much for the tips to create some food!! I do believe I have some green tissue and beads to make a salad too. That would certainly work on a buffet table. Awesome! And your tip about the mushrooms is fantastic, I certainly never would have thought of that!! I like the photo you posted. did you make the basket too? Amazing! So realistic!! Thank you again Holly! Have a wonderful day!

No, dear, I didn't make the basket, I got the baskets and some real mini gourds at WalMart to make items for a swap we did 'way back when this version of the Greenleaf Forum went online; I kept the apple basket, since I had run out of itty gourds.  The salad ingredients were courtesy of a DIY article in one of the miniature magazines several years ago, that described making the broom "straw" mushrooms; I haven't tried that one myself.

• 2 weeks later...