Hello, 

I am new here and would love some help. I purchased the RGT painted lady as my first dollhouse to build. However upon research, I have discovered that this hobby is not only expensive but it is also extremely difficult. Does anyone have a site or any help as to the best way to start? I opened the box 2 weeks ago and became instantly overwhelmed. I haven't touched it since. I was looking to make it as realistic as possible. 

• Like 1

First, don't panic. Get familiar with the instructions and parts. For realizism, look at pictures of real painted lady houses to capture your color scheme. You don't  have to go crazy with the colors. It can be all white, if you want.  What kind of roof do you want?  Do you want a modern or historical interior?  

Yes, this house will take time and planning. If you are the type that wants instant gratification and has no patience then this house may not be for you. But if you can be satisfied with completing small projects over a period of time then you may just fall in love with this hobby.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Hello, 

I am new here and would love some help. I purchased the RGT painted lady as my first dollhouse to build. However upon research, I have discovered that this hobby is not only expensive but it is also extremely difficult. Does anyone have a site or any help as to the best way to start? I opened the box 2 weeks ago and became instantly overwhelmed. I haven't touched it since. I was looking to make it as realistic as possible. 

Alex, when you have a minute, please post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  While this hobby can be just as expensive as you feel like spending, it's also only as difficult as you make it for yourself.  I started out as a 50-year old grandma, 25+ years ago whilst attending Nursing School; by now I live on a fixed income (so I wish the government would just leave it alone!) so I don't spend much (already having tools and a supplies and a stash of kits) and I make almost everything  (check out miniature-making books by Patricia King).

21 minutes ago, Sable said:

First, don't panic. Get familiar with the instructions and parts. For realizism, look at pictures of real painted lady houses to capture your color scheme. You don't  have to go crazy with the colors. It can be all white, if you want.  What kind of roof do you want?  Do you want a modern or historical interior?  

Yes, this house will take time and planning. If you are the type that wants instant gratification and has no patience then this house may not be for you. But if you can be satisfied with completing small projects over a period of time then you may just fall in love with this hobby.

Well said!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

While this hobby can be just as expensive as you feel like spending, it's also only as difficult as you make it for yourself. 

Holly is right.  There is a broad range for miniatures out there.  It isn't necessary to buy all high-end minis like Bespaq or JBM.  There are perfectly good miniatures out there at much lower prices.  Another good idea is to get on the mailing list for sites like miniatures.com and watch for sales.  Keep a list of the items you're interested in, and swoop in and buy them when the sites are offering discounts.  In addition, there are tons of online tutorials out there.  If you think you might be interested in building some of your own furniture and accessories, a favorite site of mine is http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/.  She uses a lot of mat board.  You don't need fancy tools or supplies to make her designs, but they generally turn out very well.

I totally understand the hesitation. My first mini project, which was a half-scale conservatory, I took out of the box, looked at, and put right back in several times before I finally took the plunge.  But I was so glad I did.

54 minutes ago, Sable said:

As Sable said, it does take patience.  I have been working on my most recent house for nearly a year, and just finished the structure but am still working on interior decor.  But taking your time and enjoying the experience is part of the fun.

Thank you everyone for replying. I do believe that I have to take time with this one since I'm new to it. I want a more modern interior and I wasn't a blue white and gold exterior. I think the lighting might be the hardest part. So today I'm going to try to prime the pieces to prep for paint. 

6 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Thank you everyone for replying. I do believe that I have to take time with this one since I'm new to it. I want a more modern interior and I wasn't a blue white and gold exterior. I think the lighting might be the hardest part. So today I'm going to try to prime the pieces to prep for paint. 

An excellent place to begin.