My General Store

BWMurphy

Just wanted to show my progress with this project.  I'm going to keep the front of the store removable for ease of access.  Tape wire is installed for lighting the pot belly stove at some point soon.  I want to also replace the paper sign with stenciled lettering, and perhaps some stenciled signage on the sides of the building.   Any suggestions?

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

• Like 3

Love it! What did you use for the windows, looks like real glass!

I would maybe fill the shelves a bit more and add some sacks (wool, charcoal, sugar, flour, etc...), maybe some opened sort of like this. But I tend to go a bit overboard with clutter sometimes.... xD

18 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

Love it! What did you use for the windows, looks like real glass!

I would maybe fill the shelves a bit more and add some sacks (wool, charcoal, sugar, flour, etc...), maybe some opened sort of like this. But I tend to go a bit overboard with clutter sometimes.... xD

I'm thinking that this is one of those projects that will always be a work in progress.  There are so many more accessories to build...somehow I ended up with two whole kits of country store items, so there are lots more crates and flour sacks, etc. to be added.  BTW, the windows are the plexi or acrylic panels that came with the store kit.  I know, I need to clean 'em off!  The only component I chose to replace was the door.  I really disliked the big brass hinges on the door included with the kit.  Now I'm on a quest for some printable vintage boxes and can labels in scale to fill those shelves!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tilliejam62 said:

I love your general store.  I'm also working on an old fashion country store I constructed from a 2-opening picture frame (store front) and a wooden, rectangular box (store interior) that I joined together with hinges.

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

Nicely done!  I really like the vintage gas pump out front too.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BWMurphy said:

I'm thinking that this is one of those projects that will always be a work in progress.  There are so many more accessories to build...somehow I ended up with two whole kits of country store items, so there are lots more crates and flour sacks, etc. to be added.  BTW, the windows are the plexi or acrylic panels that came with the store kit.  I know, I need to clean 'em off!  The only component I chose to replace was the door.  I really disliked the big brass hinges on the door included with the kit.  Now I'm on a quest for some printable vintage boxes and can labels in scale to fill those shelves!

I thought it would be either acrylic or micro glass, they look better than the average plastic and really nice it was included in the kit too! Don't worry about the dust, I find it near impossible to keep a work in progress clean most of the time :p 

• 5 months later...

I've not posted to this forum in quite a while and so sorry for the neglected questions.  I've had quite a whirlwind life the past 6  or 7 months with the loss of several friends and family members, one right behind another, including one of my 2 sons, my youngest. I am doing okay right now and my beloved hobby, miniatures has both kept me busy and kept my mind off the sorrow and pain somewhat.

I was going strong with my old fashion, turn-of-the-century general store and recently completed it. Photos to come of the completed project.  There was a question about the glass in the storefront - the front of the store is made from a rectangular, 2-opening picture frame, so the windows are actually the glass (real) of the 2 openings where the photos are placed.

The interior of the store is a wooden, rectangular box I had built. I attached the wooden box to the picture frame using small brass hinges.

A question for BWM - Where can I get a potbelly stove just like the one in your store?  I want to do another store as a gift for a friend but this time using a 20 gallon fish tank like the room in the attached photo. (Sorry, not a very good photo).

15073328_10209203756389128_891396672499316613_n.jpg

Edited by tilliejam62
misspellings

That old country store with the pot bellied stove looks like something one would see in an old Western movie, so I am thinking for the shelves, some home canned goods, peaches etc, some gal local would have supplied him. They would look good in their jars with the old fashioned sealers on.Great store..well done

The newer one is also very special, well done to you too. I

It blows the mind just how two artists can create two things so dufferent but both so wonderful 

I never tire of seeing such creative pictures

Thank you for sharing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tilliejam62 said:

Thanks Lawanda - do you have pics or can you direct me to pictures of the salt n pepper shaker pot belly stoves?

Sorry.  They are getting packed up.  Let me go through my pinterest photos and direct you to some.  General store got packed today, as did my log cabin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...