How much do you plan?

Hi everyone, I recently bought an Orchid kit to play with this semester as I'm a full time student and not currently working, so I spend a lot of time at home. However, I had a setback on a big project I was trying to finish before I started the Orchid (mostly for space reasons) and it'll be a few weeks before I can take it out of the box. I've started a binder so I can keep track of all of my ideas, from stuff I'd like to bash, to layout ideas, color schemes, and furniture. This lets me 'play' a little in the interim :bigwink: does anyone else do something similar?

• Like 2

Absolutely!  I have idea boards for various rooms, plus I'll save images that I find interesting or inspirational.  I also start making/collecting furniture and accessories before my builds.  It really helps to have an idea of where I want to go, so that when I actually start the build, I can take that into account.  (Doesn't mean I don't sometimes change my mind as I'm building, mind you.  :))

• Like 2

I use Powerpoint to copy and paste all of the images I find on the Internet for inspiration.  That way I can add to them whenever I want.  I can also print them out when the time comes to actually apply them.  I usually have real house images in one set of slides and other dollhouse images in another.  I copy and paste images of furniture and decor that I may want to purchase for the house, as well.  I also have a Dollhouse file in my Favorites list of online dollhouse stores to compare prices and look for sales.  

• Like 2

That is actually what I have been doing too. Lots of internet work right now. I can't start on my dollhouse till the work we are doing on the upstairs of our actual house is done. Surfing the web and checking out all the sites I see, then saving it for when I am ready is a big help. Plus it makes me feel as if I am not neglecting my doll house. I am hoping my husband's schedule of upstairs reno work is doable. He is hoping to have it done by the beginning of March. This way I will have some time before I have to start on my garden outside.

• Like 2

I plan a LOT I would say. Most often the house itself tells it story when I first see it and then it is just to take out a sketch pad and try and start capturing the story line, then comes the fun of Trying and getting it to look the way. Sometimes  there are a few ways to go, ie we (the build and I) have conversations over this and that and at Times' there is a break in the flow as I haven't been able to capture just the right tone of it. i cantake the exempel of the roof for the steampunk build, it took a while to get to the pattern and colour set prior to actually get it Done. When that was solved itjust ram its own course so to speak. Then at Times there iste Joe of hunting just the perfect this, that or whatever to go on.... i Think that iswhy Itend to keep more than one build on the go at Any given time, it takes time to either fins one thing or another or to figurer out how to make it myseldning, then gathörn the materials etc. But that is also the charm and beauty of the whole  process for me.

• Like 1

I do the same, I still have a folder with all my sketches, electrical plans, walppaper prints and flooring ideas, I plan way too much... lol. But it's fun to go back and compare the old sketches to the final result, sometimes I had a completly diferent idea in mind while others are a very close match xD

12 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

I do the same, I still have a folder with all my sketches, electrical plans, walppaper prints and flooring ideas, I plan way too much... lol. But it's fun to go back and compare the old sketches to the final result, sometimes I had a completly diferent idea in mind while others are a very close match xD

Indeed, I also tend to make a folded card kind of thing to follow along when I go anywhere that might involve "finds"

Just a plain folded postcard idea, that is where I put any colour swatches from rooms as well as a dab of the Paintbrush when I paint something in a particular shade, Group the swatches and paint tests so that one has them gathered in one Place when trying out new matching items so to speak.

Sometimes I have this idea buzzing around in my head prompting me to start a sketch and adding to it until I run across the perfect build to house the scene. That was just how I came across the Gloucester (Known over here as Her Highness as she knew soooo well whatever she wanted and would throw a hissy fit if the demands weren't met) that now houses a set of five stores. We came to a halt when I couldn't get the elevator to work out like she wanted to. That is on its way to work out though with the new litttle toy, errm, tool of a 3D printer I got recently...

Hugs

• Like 2

I collect ideas from various magazines and books as well as internet searches.  Even though the kit tells me what it wants I have to see pictures to figure out how it might look and whether I might have to finagle with it.

• Like 1

I always do pre-planning. I start a file on my computer to put in my ideas, things I want to try, pictures I like, etc.  And once the house has decided what it wants to be, a story begins to form. I also begin searching for just the right doll to be the main character.

After I start the project, I keep a running account of what is done, how and when. I keep a notebook in my workshop for that, and periodically transfer it to my computer. I also try to remember to add the specific brand/color of paint I have used in case (a) I have to do any touch up later, or (b) I want to use it on another build.  Keeping the notebook also gives me an idea later on how much time was spent on the project, as I always write down the date and start/stop times. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started to read a lot on internet about dollshouses en made notes on a sheet. I have not started the build yet, but slowly the house is taking shape, bit by bit, in my mind.

From the moment  I started to read the stories on this website about all of your fantastic creations my little list is becoming longer, hoping that I can use some of those ideas and materials in my own house. For example, someone mentioned Dutch doors and I will definetely make my frontdoor a dutch door! Love it.

On 2/10/2017, 4:50:37, havanaholly said:

I collect ideas from various magazines and books as well as internet searches.  Even though the kit tells me what it wants I have to see pictures to figure out how it might look and whether I might have to finagle with it.

What she said! Also, I go out and look at houses that are similar to what I want to build, and I generally freak people out when I touch brick and stone, etc. Gotta see how it feels so I can duplicate it in miniature right?

2 hours ago, Sweet said:

I started to read a lot on internet about dollshouses en made notes on a sheet. I have not started the build yet, but slowly the house is taking shape, bit by bit, in my mind.

From the moment  I started to read the stories on this website about all of your fantastic creations my little list is becoming longer, hoping that I can use some of those ideas and materials in my own house. For example, someone mentioned Dutch doors and I will definetely make my frontdoor a dutch door! Love it.

Margreet, here is the Dutch door I made for my farmhouse's kitchen door:

IMG_8812.JPG

• Like 1

My plans are dictated by available products. I can have a plan in mind but it can go haywire if I can't find the the envisioned wallpaper, paint/stain color or tile. My houses are taking longer to build since I have to wait until the perfect materials jump out at me.

9 minutes ago, Sable said:

My plans are dictated by available products. I can have a plan in mind but it can go haywire if I can't find the the envisioned wallpaper, paint/stain color or tile. My houses are taking longer to build since I have to wait until the perfect materials jump out at me.

Agreed Sable.. the best laid plans go awry though lack of choice in materials. It's so frustrating sometimes.