The Oroville Dam in California

Roxxie2

I wanted to post my concern for any of our members who might be in this frightening situation .   I don't exactly know who might be in this area but I know there are members from California so I wanted to send out a prayer and thinking of you at this time. 

Pretty worrying. Like many of the things people try to change about nature, it's great until something goes wrong. I do wonder why they weren't letting more water out from the start, rather than let it get so full, especially given they probably predicted there would be rainfall at least a few days in advance. And I wouldn't like being one of the people trying to reinforce the failing part.

8 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

Pretty worrying. Like many of the things people try to change about nature, it's great until something goes wrong. I do wonder why they weren't letting more water out from the start, rather than let it get so full, especially given they probably predicted there would be rainfall at least a few days in advance. And I wouldn't like being one of the people trying to reinforce the failing part.

A great gaping hole appeared in the spillway, so an emergency back-up spillway had to be opened. Now the back-up has failed.

Yes this has been a nightmare.  I live just outside of the evacuated area but if the dam itself were to break we would be heading to higher ground.  There has been a mandatory evacuation for the Oroville and surrounding areas and my sisters and nephews came out to our house.  What a houseful.  The area is still under an evacuation order but have returned to their homes.  The dam was never in any danger(or so they say but if this is not fixed it could possibly be compromised) but the major spillway broke apart and then the emergency spillway began to fail.  It is currently leaking but they are now dropping loads of bags of rocks in the compromised area.  They decided to use the regular spillway even tho it is damaged and are releasing quite a bit of water as we are due for more rain Wed/Thurs and they dont want any more water in the lake or dam.  The danger of flooding has lessened but still at risk.  Thats the basic  I surely dont understand all of it.  I however am unable to work due to the evacuation order and the stores in town are closed  Lots of gas stations ran out of gas as everyone filled up during the evac process.  Good thing I have a full tank right now!  There are some levees down further south from where I live- 3 to 4 hours out and they are in danger of failing.  Also another levee about an hour away from me is in danger of failing and they are working on that to keep that from further failure and flooding.