Windows Vista/XP - bye bye

mesp2k

Hummmm...

Found out Microsoft is not supporting (my OS Vista) nor XP as of April 2017.

I think some of Apple's older OS's are expiring too?

As of NOW neither is Sketchup nor Google (Chrome). We had Chromecast connected for internet to tv & Netflix, but can't cast from internet anymore.

We had to switch to a Firefox browser.  Firefox support for Vista/XP ends April 2017 also.

What's supported: Windows 10 & Internet Explorer 10 & not sure about Apple OS's?

I think I can buy Windows 10 on a flash drive for about $100??

Just ranting...:crash:

Without the internet I might disappear for a while [YIKES!!] 

I still have my Vista laptop as a backup, though I did upgrade to a Windows 10 laptop.  But, I wanted one with CDROM/DVD drive built in.  You'd swear I had asked to have my appendix surgically put back in.  Found one with an internal DVD drive...likely the last one I'll be able to ever get going forward.

25 minutes ago, otterine said:

I still have my Vista laptop as a backup, though I did upgrade to a Windows 10 laptop.  But, I wanted one with CDROM/DVD drive built in.  You'd swear I had asked to have my appendix surgically put back in.  Found one with an internal DVD drive...likely the last one I'll be able to ever get going forward.

I know.  All of my prior tax return software is on cd's. The files copied over to the new computer but not the programs to run them. Plus I can't play my music CDs anymore.  So I have to use/pay for Spotify.  

I thought Windows hasn't supported XP for ages. Anyway, I am using Pale Moon as a browser. I doubt they'll support XP either, but it's a Firefox related browser and uses all their apps. And I like it much better than Firefox.

Sable, why can't you play CDs anymore? I thought all computers would play CDs. Anyway, a good way to listen to music is to go to Youtube, find what you want to listen to, and then convert the music on a Youtube to mp3 converter. Then you can download it to your computer. I did that when my CDs were all stolen after my car was broken into.

For TV and movies, check out Icefilms.

15 hours ago, Sable said:

Yes, we had Vista and bought a new computer a year ago. I love it but it is an all in one (no more huge box under my desk) with no way to insert program CDs. I can only download programs.

Sable, if your computer has a spare USB port you should be able to connect an external CD drive.

13 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I thought Windows hasn't supported XP for ages. Anyway, I am using Pale Moon as a browser. I doubt they'll support XP either, but it's a Firefox related browser and uses all their apps. And I like it much better than Firefox.

Sable, why can't you play CDs anymore? I thought all computers would play CDs. Anyway, a good way to listen to music is to go to Youtube, find what you want to listen to, and then convert the music on a Youtube to mp3 converter. Then you can download it to your computer. I did that when my CDs were all stolen after my car was broken into.

For TV and movies, check out Icefilms.

I think officially XPs support is ending.

I checked out that Pale Moon browser - looks good & its open source!

I'll look into that Icefilms too :)

Thanks Kelly

15 hours ago, otterine said:

I think we're getting old - stuff can be downloaded or streamed now so the computer manufacturer's are leaving out the CDs etc.

bye bye: BETA; 8 TRACKS; CASSETTES; VHS; FLOPPY DISKS; CDs; DVDs...

Vinyl records are coming back!

I bought an 8MB flash/thumb drive at Walgreens for $3 - I fished it out of a fish bowl - just like candy - hahaha   :drive:I'm not crazy!

Will Windows 10 support end as soon as I get it?? :bye2:

16 hours ago, Sable said:

Yes, we had Vista and bought a new computer a year ago. I love it but it is an all in one (no more huge box under my desk) with no way to insert program CDs. I can only download programs.

Are you sure your all in one doesn't have a space for a CD? I have an ACER all in one, the CD is fit into the right hand side. My boss at my work has one also, not Acer, it also has CD insert. The button is very small on the right hand edge, but is there. I thought having CD insert was basic on a computer....Google it!!

2 hours ago, Denise Hanley said:

Are you sure your all in one doesn't have a space for a CD? I have an ACER all in one, the CD is fit into the right hand side. My boss at my work has one also, not Acer, it also has CD insert. The button is very small on the right hand edge, but is there. I thought having CD insert was basic on a computer....Google it!!

No need to Google it. My Dell does not have one.  And as my tech son just explained to me-"You don't need them anymore since you can download everything".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mesp2k said:

I think officially XPs support is ending.

I checked out that Pale Moon browser - looks good & its open source!

I'll look into that Icefilms too :)

Thanks Kelly

If you need any help with Icefilms, let me know and I can talk you through some of the stuff to set up. I've been on there for years, but things have changed so much that it might be difficult for a newcomer to figure it all out. What's nice is, with Icefilms, I am TV free and no commercials.

• Like 1