Chandelier Installation

mks

What is the best way to connect wires from a chandelier to the tape run in an electrified dollhouse?  I thought about soldering the wire to the tape run, but I have never soldered before.  I would want something that would leave a smooth surface, since all my connections are to the floor above.  I am currently using these self adhesive squares that came with the kit, but these are not providing the best connection.  

I solder my wires directly to the tape, but I have previous soldering experience, and I had the equipment. It's not really hard though. Others use grommets or brads that punch into the tape, and then wrap the wires around. Some even follow that up with a bit of solder to ensure the best connection.

1 hour ago, mks said:

... all my connections are to the floor above.  I am currently using these self adhesive squares that came with the kit, but these are not providing the best connection.  

You might consider sticking the tiles to a cardboard template rather than to the floor itself. It will level out an irregularity that the wire or solder might create. And if there's a problem with the wiring later, having a removable floor treatment would be helpful.

Hi, Kathie.  Yes, I have installed the floors above the chandeliers that so I can access them if there is a problem.  I will look into both soldering and the brads/grommets.

Thanks!

When you look into soldering, look for the tiny soldering guns used for electronics. You don't need the big chisel-tipped irons used for leaded glass, pipe fitting and other larger applications.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2017, 4:29:34, KathieB said:

When you look into soldering, look for the tiny soldering guns used for electronics. You don't need the big chisel-tipped irons used for leaded glass, pipe fitting and other larger applications.

Ok, will do.  Thanks!  Also, do you know if someplace like Pat Catans or Michaels sells the brads?

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2017, 11:08:06, LadyGunn said:

I've only wired one house and I took the easy way out and used these chandelier adapters. There's a video here from HBS showing how they work.

The adapter in the link is a pin adapter. I've experienced a problem with this type, as gravity tended to pull on the chandelier and it fell out. I had better luck with the Brass Plated Canopy Adapter from Cir-Kit Concepts. The chandelier cannot fall out, yet it is easy to remove it if necessary.