Easy cutter Not so easy:(

tlbradwisch

So i ordered the easy cutter off amazon and it will not cut all it does is crimp i even had my husband try as hes a lot stronger and it just would not cut it no matter what. did i get a dud is there anything i can do to fix this. its the one with the piece that moves for angles. I was so excited to get the and now im just ready to toss it 

Bummer! I'd phone the manufacturer for information on how to make it work and demand a replacement if their suggestions don't work. A brand new blade ought to be slicing through wood as if it were butter.

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Bummer! I'd phone the manufacturer for information on how to make it work and demand a replacement if their suggestions don't work. A brand new blade ought to be slicing through wood as if it were butter.

thats what i thought to but no i even had hubby sharpen the blade thinking that might help nope not even a little.

I'm with KathieB on this one; get the manufacturer to tell you how to fix it or to replace it, or else a refund.  Then I would go to Micro-Mark and order their Miter Master:  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=micromark+miter+master&qpvt=micromark+miter+master&qpvt=micromark+miter+master&qpvt=micromark+miter+master&FORM=IGRE

I have been using mine with its original blade (not had to sharpen it yet) for at least 20 years.

• Like 2

I got mine from Micro Mark for Christmas and the blade is so sharp you could cut delicate tomato slices with it.  However, although the blade is sharp enough, I do have issues with it. 45 degree angles no problem but if you try any other angle there is no fence to hold the wood while you cut it. Does anyone know if I'm suppose to configure my fingers in a certain way to hold the wood in place? Secondly, if you hold the wood too close to the blade's inner edge, I'll call it the jawbone, it does crimp the wood on the jawbone side. So the secret seems to be that you have to align the cut further away from the "jawbone".

I also purchased the 'Easy Cutters'................If you look up into the night sky around midnight you might just catch a glint as mine pass near the moon on their way around the earth!........they are available on Amazon in the UK for £25 but for maximum satisfaction and a whole lot of fun I'd say forget the cutters and set fire to the £25!

Better still buy a set of 'Trend Mitre Shears'.........not cheap at around £45 but worth twice that............these shears will cut kryptonite!

IMHO!

3 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

I also purchased the 'Easy Cutters'................If you look up into the night sky around midnight you might just catch a glint as mine pass near the moon on their way around the earth!........they are available on Amazon in the UK for £25 but for maximum satisfaction and a whole lot of fun I'd say forget the cutters and set fire to the £25!

Better still buy a set of 'Trend Mitre Shears'.........not cheap at around £45 but worth twice that............these shears will cut kryptonite!

IMHO!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:  Mike, I can always rely on you to crack me up!

3 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

IMHO!

i'll check them out too. And yes if my husband had not walked in at the right moment they would have gone flying 

Maybe things have changed.  I've had my Easy Cutter for at least 8 years and it cuts great.  Matter of fact I just finished shingling the Glencroft with it.  If you are familiar with that model you know how many angles the roof has.  I was able to make very precise cuts for all those angles.  I do not know where mine was purchased as it was a gift.  If I were you I would send yours back for a replacement or refund.

I have 2.  One from hobby lobby, works great,  it has the adjustable fence. The other is ftom menards not the adjustable fence.  I love them both.  Never had a problem cutting.  Think you got a lemon.  Make them give you a good one, or refund.  Then to hobby lobby.    They are near the model train stuff 

4 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I have 2.  One from hobby lobby, works great,  it has the adjustable fence. The other is ftom menards not the adjustable fence.  I love them both.  Never had a problem cutting.  Think you got a lemon.  Make them give you a good one, or refund.  Then to hobby lobby.    They are near the model train stuff 

i didnt know they sold them at hobby lobby i will deff look there as well. Thank you 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thresadep said:

If you do return them don't mention your husband sharpening them. That may void any warranty.  Glad you shared this info. I was to get one but think I will pass. I'll look into the ones mentioned by holly and Mike.

thats a good idea i didnt think of either. Thank you :) 

4 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

i think you right im starting to think i got a dud too. we have a menards here i will have to look there :)

17 hours ago, Sable said:

I got mine from Micro Mark for Christmas and the blade is so sharp you could cut delicate tomato slices with it.  However, although the blade is sharp enough, I do have issues with it. 45 degree angles no problem but if you try any other angle there is no fence to hold the wood while you cut it. Does anyone know if I'm suppose to configure my fingers in a certain way to hold the wood in place? Secondly, if you hold the wood too close to the blade's inner edge, I'll call it the jawbone, it does crimp the wood on the jawbone side. So the secret seems to be that you have to align the cut further away from the "jawbone".

I've not had the crimping problem, but my blade's inner edge doesn't come right up to the fence.  I haven't had a problem with other angles, holding my finger along the wood strip to hold it still while I cut it.

• 1 year later...

Which would y'all recommend? The easy cutter for hobby lobby or micromark or midwest tools? Also, I'm planning on using paint stir sticks from Lowe's for wide plank flooring. Would the easy cutter work for them too?

I use my easy cutter on coffee stirrers and wood that is not more than 1/16th thick. I have found it very helpful. 

It's always wise to sand ends smooth - but it gets the job done.

I have cut wood a bit thicker than 1/16...maybe 1/8? - and it was a little tough for me but it worked. I wouldn't want to go thicker than that.

I do love my zona saw from micromark. It is a classic tiny saw, but it is so smooth and sharp...cuts anything really well (plastic, metal, wood). Worth a look but you'd want a mitre box for it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have an Easy Cutter, with the 40% off coupon, it is a deal. I don't have any experience with the one from Micro-Mark.

I don't know how long you would be able to cut through paint stirrers....It will take a lot of hand strength. If you use the widest tongue depresses, it will be easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argh! said:

Which would y'all recommend? The easy cutter for hobby lobby or micromark or midwest tools? Also, I'm planning on using paint stir sticks from Lowe's for wide plank flooring. Would the easy cutter work for them too?

Get one that has a movable fence which holds the wood in place for angles other than 45degrees. It would be difficult to cut the paint stir stick length wise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I don't know how long you would be able to cut through paint stirrers....It will take a lot of hand strength. If you use the widest tongue depresses, it will be easier.

I have used the paint stirrers for shelves but I would hate to do a whole floor with them. They also seem a bit too wide.

886F7B6D-44C3-4FE4-A94C-274867DE68CF.jpeg

• Like 2

I ran into an issue with my Easy Cutter Ultimate.  I had the old version, which works better than the newer version.  Here's my write-up on the two versions.  I love my old one but the new one was disappointing.  If you can find an old one on eBay or such, you can easily replace the blade.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/easy-cutter-ultimate

• Like 1