The Renovations Begin

Bluestocking

I've been cleaning the "Golden Lion Inn" this past week, a few rooms at a time because it's so fiddly.  I've found a lot of little things that need re-gluing, pulled off some that were dangerously wobbly, and knocked off a few more without meaning to, but so far everything is repairable.  I've stuck pieces of blue masking tape to mark the spots that need fixing.

Taking Samusa's suggestion, my husband began investigating how to make the lower left roof either removable or hinged, and although at first he thought he couldn't take it off without removing some of the shingles, after not very long the whole thing came off in pretty much one piece -- held on with just five little nails and some glue that came apart alarmingly easily.  One of the corbels snapped in half in the process, but it was a clean break so can be glued without too much ill effect.

The two outer roof supports in the second photo also came off quite easily, and are now temporarily taped to the underside of the roof to be reattached when the time comes as they are also ceiling beams.  The middle one has wiring on it, so we left it there for the time being.

It was a bit nerve-wracking at first, but I think the house will be better for the change, and this is in fact probably the only structural change I'll make.

I've also removed the contact paper from the attic, since it was buckling anyway and came off quite easily, and some of the wallpapers in the rooms for the same reason.  Either the wallpaper glue wasn't the best, or the surface was too rough for the paper to stick well.

The house is attached to the plywood base with four screws.  My husband suspects that wiring access is underneath, so thinks we might have to remove it from the base temporarily in order to access it.  Would that be the usual way to do it? 

Jeanne

6598.jpg

6600.jpg

6601.jpg

On 2/18/2017, 6:52:41, Bluestocking said:

...the house is attached to the plywood base with four screws.  My husband suspects that wiring access is underneath, so thinks we might have to remove it from the base temporarily in order to access it.  Would that be the usual way to do it?

Wiring can be hidden in most any space available. 

No harm to remove the screws & see if the base slips off.

Hopeful all your wire connections are there.

:hmm:Is the house hard wired? 

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2017, 6:52:55, mesp2k said:

:hmm:Is the house hard wired? 

Sorry, Mike, I didn't see this question at the time!

Yes, there is at least some wiring remaining inside the walls, and a line of RCA jacks at a bottom corner on the back.  I have no experience with wiring anything! luckily my husband has, although not with dollhouses.

Jeanne