New

Mineejv

Hello everyone,  New member from Ma.Me.Fl. I've always loved little things. I was working in a small grocery store in the early 90's (so long ago) when asparagus came in wood grates. Made my first little store in it,with just a box cutter and saw. In 1996 I built my first house a 10 room which was  39x 30 x181/2  from scratch (no plans) scrapes (spent no money). My husband was a builder so he helped me some. He bought me some mini tools by minicraft,a table saw,2 sanders &dremel to do the finish work in that house. I've bought 2 abanded house since that time ,but never had the room or time. I've moved in the past year,so now I have a whole room & closet to work in. (I've missed my mini's & tools).I'm redoing one into a Christmas house it's coming along good (I hope). Just bought a Dura-craft VH-600 Victorian house kit. I'm lost. Have it all organized & labled,the instructions aren't good for a first time kit builder. When doing the siding there's nothing to glue it to, (it's only the first...... thing to do).It says to glue the tongue then seat it in the groove(I get that). Is it going to hold good enough for when I pick it up? Or should I put something behind it (paper- wood)? I have be reading this forum for a month now (might be 1/4 way Thur). It's very helpful and I love looking at everyone's work,an dream to be able to do some of those works of art. I haven't found much on the build of the Dura- craft VH-600 Victorian. Any help would be good.  Another thing I'm not good with a computer too!

Thank you,Thank you,      JV

Welcome to the little family, Joanne.  My first two kit builds were Dura-Craft, and I can tell you that you will learn a LOT!  The siding is milled into the wall.  It helped me to lay strips of masking tape side by side, sticky side up, to glue the tongues into the grooves for a tight fit.  Once you get your long-frame pieces assembled and set into the foundation the wall sections will slide down into them.  Do you have to build your windows as you go?  There is a section specifically for questions about building Dura-Craft kits:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=30

Gaps and tight fits can be a problem with D-C kits, so take your time and dry fit before you glue.  Once your wall sections are in place you can go through with a tub of spackle or drywall mud and fill those "seams" where they're glued together, and when its ll dry you can sand it smooth for priming and painting or wallpapering.

Hi Joanne, welcome! 

If this is typical Dura-Craft construction, then the siding sections stack one on top of the other - becoming the walls.

They're tongue & groove

The edge of each siding section fits into the trim.

58ab703223eca_duracraftheritage.png.18a1

Welcome. I live in Broward. For a second I didn't know where MaMe is. For the rest of the world, Miami is pronounced "MaMe" by some of the locals.  I hope you can make it to our Dollhouse and Miniature show at the Boca Raton Community Center on March 11.

Joanne, where in Tallahassee?  DS#3 is staying with us whilst the contractor hired by the insurance company repairs his house that a large chunk of live oak fell on in January and took out several trusses of his roof, the ceiling in one room, and shot his wiring.

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

Just went back and read what I wrote sure looks like"MaMe Fl. I love the Pastalitos.

Haha that is so funny. Sorry about my error and glad you could see how I made the error. Yes, Tallahassee is a very long way from Boca. There are good shows in Orlando, one last weekend.

http://showsandclubs.smallscaleshowcase.com/florida.html

1 hour ago, Mineejv said:

I live over by Southwood. We didn't get that storm to bad on the south side,but other places got it good . Glad he's safe.You can fix a house......don't we know?

His duplex is on Brewster and he owns his side.  The wind tore the limb off the live oak down to the root that was beside the other half of the duple, taking out all the trusses on his neighbors' side; the top of the limb with all the branches is what fell on his side, coming down into his front bedroom/ office; going in there with all the insulation, dust & mold spores to retrieve all his important papers from his desk gave us all a horrible respiratory problem that took over a week to work through.