Orchid Finished!

nolephan

My first build, an Orchid that was a Christmas gift from my sister is finished! More or less, do they ever get completely finished? Still have some decorating and furnishing to do. I learned a lot from my first build.

1. My Bff's were painter's tape, emery boards and the weights from my knitting machine

2. Template for the roof! Also, this house comes with shingles. The directions said to place them no closer than 1/2". So I placed them 1/2" apart and ran out. The majority of the back is hand cut from the waste on the edges of the shingle sheets. The bay window was a complete fudge.

3. Don't skimp on sanding. There are places I wish I'd spent more time on this step.

4. Don't throw anything away. Little bits and pieces come in handy for repairs or trim.

I had a blast and for the most part am pleased with the results. Thank you to Holly, Mike, Inge and others who answered my questions and provided inspiration. My next project will be a boarding house bash with Pierce and Primrose. I'm already losing sleep over it!

IMG_20170204_130413674_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, nolephan said:

Thanks! I think this was a great house to start out/learn on. Still working on the boarding house bash!

Laurie, do you have any photos of the boarding house bash? I'm bashing a Pierce into an 1880s Bohemian inn and tavern by adding a scratch-built kitchen with rooms above it off the living room side of the Pierce. I haven't started building the addition yet. Would love to see how you've handled adding the Primrose.

Kathie, you were my inspiration! I have to go to work tomorrow, but on Thursday I could send you some pictures of what I've done. I don't think I did a very good job with adding the primrose, but would be happy to share with you what I've done.