Sealer

Mineejv

Sealer is what goes on under paint and wallpaper. It can be a clear sanding sealer, flat acrylic house paint, gesso or anything else that will seal the wood to prevent the naturally occurring toxins from leaching out to stain the final. wall and/or ceiling coverings.

Your reference to the tongue and groove holding well is a bit confusing. Sealer has nothing to do with gluing. When gluing raw wood to raw wood, a good carpenter's glue works well -- like Titebond or Elmer's Wood Glue. Aileen's Tacky Glue works fine if one or more of the surfaces to be joined has been painted or sealed.  

Sealer is OK, but I prefer primer on surfaces I plan to paint or paper over (or stucco, or whatever treatment I plan to use, other than stain; for stain I might use sealer over it, although I usually don't.

Some of our members use Kilz as a primer, especially dealing with old, musty kits.  I personally find it easiest to decorate as I go along; do the first floor stain, erect the walls, prime them and ly the floor, paint or paper, then prime & paint the ceiling & stain the second floor, etc.  Sometimes the kit doesn't want to let me work in that order, and then I o with whatever order the kit imposes; the dry fit cues me as to how that will go.

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

For the sealer, will kilz 2 work? I bought some because the wood has a musty smell. Is that what works the best?What would be easier if I paint as I go along or wait till I have most of it done? Thank u again..

Kilz 2 is an excellent sealer. As for order, as Holly says, dry fitting the sections will give an indication of whether an area needs to be decorated before or after the construction is completed.