Renovating my gutted Garfield

H-Ann

I am officially a dollhouse owner! However, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Someone was selling their Garfield via yard sale, and I of course bought it on a whim. How hard could it really be to remodel a dollhouse, right? Well, little did I know that it ALL needed to be redone. The house was not properly stored so it had years and years of dust caked on EVERYWHERE. So what led to ripping out the carpet and floors, quickly led to ripping off shingles and siding. I have a completely naked house. I even removed the roof so that I could really get in there. Anyways, I'm needing guidance with the proper steps. I am hoping to:

add new windows

add new doors

flooring

wall paper

crown/wall moulding

siding

shingles

painting

Thank you so so much, and resources are appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Ann said:

I am officially a dollhouse owner! However, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Someone was selling their Garfield via yard sale, and I of course bought it on a whim. How hard could it really be to remodel a dollhouse, right? Well, little did I know that it ALL needed to be redone. The house was not properly stored so it had years and years of dust caked on EVERYWHERE. So what led to ripping out the carpet and floors, quickly led to ripping off shingles and siding. I have a completely naked house. I even removed the roof so that I could really get in there. Anyways, I'm needing guidance with the proper steps. I am hoping to:

add new windows

add new doors

flooring

wall paper

crown/wall moulding

siding

shingles

painting

Thank you so so much, and resources are appreciated!

Oh, I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Making new doors and windows is a lot easier with a gluing jig and a Miter Master; start now saving flat clear plastic packaging for replacement windows.  I really like the iron-on wood veneering strips; I cut them into 6" lengths and then slice them 1/4" wide and iron them into place with my iron set at its highest setting:

parlor 2.JPG

You will want to prime your walls and ceilings and anything else you want to paint or wallpaper.  I found mini molding and baseboards at the local hobby shop, and I have also used the mini moldings I found at Hobby Lobby and Michael's:

exterior trims

I love the Greenleaf siding strips and shingles, but lately I've been finishing my houses' exteriors with "stucco" using either spackling  compound or drywall mud.  I hae also used a fairly coarse grit sandpaper to make shingles:

the USA General Store.jpg

and I have wet the cardboard box the kit came in and stripped off one layer of cardboard to make "tin" roofs:

gallery_8_988_72865.jpg

I paint with interior latex house paint, either flat or semi-gloss finish.

• Like 1