Renovating my gutted Garfield

H-Ann

I am officially a dollhouse owner! However, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Someone was selling their Garfield via yard sale, and I of course bought it on a whim. How hard could it really be to remodel a dollhouse, right? Well, little did I know that it ALL needed to be redone. The house was not properly stored so it had years and years of dust caked on EVERYWHERE. So what led to ripping out the carpet and floors, quickly led to ripping off shingles and siding. I have a completely naked house. I even removed the roof so that I could really get in there. Anyways, I'm needing guidance with the proper steps. I am hoping to:

add new windows

add new doors

flooring

wall paper

crown/wall moulding

siding

shingles

painting

Thank you so so much, and resources are appreciated!

Miniatures.com for Windows, doors, trim, siding, shingles. Greenleaf also offers some limited items. Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joanne's for modern scrapbook paper unless you like the look of traditional dollhouse paper. 

Craft paint from the previously mentioned stores.

i shy away from Popsicle sticks and stir sticks for flooring and use basswood strip wood from HL or Micheals.  I use upholstery material for carpeting.  

It all depends on your budget.

• Like 1

Sable, this is very funny, I went to bed thinking of using scrapbook paper for wallpaper and wasn't sure if that would be ok, So I just woke up and decided to go on and ask, when here is your mention of it . Would you use wallpaper paste or a craft glue? I bought stir sticks for my flooring, so I am wondering why I shouldn't use them, to brittle possibly? 

Scrapbook paper is acid-free.  You do want to look for patterns that are in scale; I used toile scrapbook paper for a bedroom:

bedroom.JPG

I also use RL wallpaper borders:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

and I have also used giftwrap and wine bags:

finished interior:  bedroomfinished interior:  bathroom

I always use premixed wallpaper paste I buy at the hardware store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josiebee said:

I bought stir sticks for my flooring, so I am wondering why I shouldn't use them, to brittle possibly? 

They are not milled evenly. If you use them, be sure to paint or stain the under flooring or template the same color as the flooring finish so the underlayment won't wink through the teensy gaps that are sure to appear between the boards. 

I find stir sticks too wavy and inconsistent. I find them to be out of scale for 1/12. It depends what look you want. If you want a new smooth butted consistent floor, I wouldn't use them. But if you are looking for an older wavy looking floor with thin boards and gaps, they are perfect for that look.  

Here is a pic of a strip wood floor:

For this floor I used balsa sheets and scored the lines with my mini table saw.  In hindsight the score lines are too wide but it still gave a nice board width:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=99052&browse=1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josiebee said:

Sable, this is very funny, I went to bed thinking of using scrapbook paper for wallpaper and wasn't sure if that would be ok, So I just woke up and decided to go on and ask, when here is your mention of it . Would you use wallpaper paste or a craft glue? I bought stir sticks for my flooring, so I am wondering why I shouldn't use them, to brittle possibly? 

Many of us use premixed wallpaper paste. You can get a small tub of it at HD or Lowes.

I saw a lot of scrapbooking paper that I thought would be nice, I am glad that it has been used with good results. I will have to open the package of stir sticks and see what they look like. I really like the look of the Balsa sheet flooring so I am not sure yet. Ill lay what I have down before hand and see what it looks like. Thanks for the advise 

On 2/22/2017, 8:49:16, Sable said:

I find stir sticks too wavy and inconsistent. I find them to be out of scale for 1/12. It depends what look you want. If you want a new smooth butted consistent floor, I wouldn't use them. But if you are looking for an older wavy looking floor with thin boards and gaps, they are perfect for that look.  

Here is a pic of a strip wood floor:

For this floor I used balsa sheets and scored the lines with my mini table saw.  In hindsight the score lines are too wide but it still gave a nice board width:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=99052&browse=1

Beautiful pool house! What did you use for your bathroom tile? 

If you do it wrong, you will fix it, and it will probably look MUCH better than if you hadn't messed up in the first place.  If I ever build a kit that I don't mess something up or use the wrong thing, I'll worry.

16 minutes ago, H-Ann said:

Beautiful pool house! What did you use for your bathroom tile? 

Thank you. I get a lot of enjoyment of using real stone on my houses. If you look at the Pool House's fireplace, I hand cut every one of those stones with the help of a diamond blade.  The bath tile is glass. I purchased them from Home Depot a few years ago. I was afraid to cut the glass so I repositioned some of the preset pattern to fit the shower. I used white fluffy spackle for grout.

• Like 1

When using the stir sticks, sand them all flat after you install them. A mouse sander will be your friend for this. Any loose sawdust, moosh down into any cracks between uneven boards. That will help hide and fill in any gaps. But still do paint or stain your base before laying your sticks.

On 2/24/2017, 7:38:41, sparklepuppies said:

When using the stir sticks, sand them all flat after you install them. A mouse sander will be your friend for this. Any loose sawdust, moosh down into any cracks between uneven boards. That will help hide and fill in any gaps. But still do paint or stain your base before laying your sticks.

thats how i do it to lots of sanding and they come out very nice :) i just finished my ashley house this way :)