Will Sylvanian Families/Calico Critters look silly in 1:12 scale dollhouse?

Shoni

Hello! :)

I'm a newbie here and also to dollhouse building. I've decided to make a dollhouse for my 4 year old's Sylvanian Families (Calico Critters in the US). I'm wondering if they are going to look silly in a 1:12 scale dollhouse. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has any. The Beacon Hill house is what I'm leaning towards buying. 

It is a complex  house and very large. It could take a while to complete. Personally, unless you are a stay at home mom with many DIY skills and lots of time on your hands, I wouldn't attempt this house. The staircase alone is very challenging.

With any 1/12 scale house, the little characters won't matter to her now. She can grow into the house with other dolls later.  We advise leaving the plastic Windows off when small children are involved.  They get pushed out by small hands.

• Like 1

The Calico Critters are small for 1:12 and large for 1:24, but as Sable points out, it won't matter to your daughter. I, too, would suggest a smaller, less complicated house more suitable to her age. Save the Beacon Hill for later. 

• Like 1

The Sugarplum is a good size for Calico critters.  I would leave off the bay, the windows and the door, which can be added later, when she is older, or left off for future siblings to play with when the current daughter is old enough for the Beacon Hill (or you could build the Beacon Hill for yourself).

I hope you will find some time to post us an intro in the Newcomers' Forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm guessing the Beacon Hill will probably take about a year for me to build. Even thought I'm a beginner, I'm up for the challenge. Last night I was thinking about getting the Orchid from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon for a start. That way my daughter will get a house for her Sylvanian Families much sooner and I'll get a bit of practice before making her grand Beacon Hill house. I don't think my husband will be very happy when he realises I bought two houses but you've twisted my arm.  :ohyeah: I'm off to Hobby Lobby in the morning! :) I can't wait to get started!

• Like 1

@rbytsdy I see you've made two Willowcrest houses. I think this is probably my favourite house. I would love this one for my daughter but by the looks of it, it seems it would be difficult for her to have the dolls go up and down the stairs. Do you think so? 

6 hours ago, Shoni said:

@rbytsdy I see you've made two Willowcrest houses. I think this is probably my favourite house. I would love this one for my daughter but by the looks of it, it seems it would be difficult for her to have the dolls go up and down the stairs. Do you think so? 

The short answer is yes, though my little nieces and nephews, being determined to observe logical continuity, have forced that point! :p

I think that one can take a couple different views on houses for young kids; I chose to go all out for my nieces with Beacon Hill, Willowcrest, SanFran, and others. Electrical, doorknobs and hinges, intricate trims and railings, the works. Yes, they've done quite a number on them with playing with them over the years, but the houses looked really good when they first got them, and I enjoyed doing it. :p

Ditto what Holly said. I've been making my daughter a Sugarplum. It seems to be a tiny bit smaller than 1:12 scale. A friend bought her the little Calico Critters racoon family and they actually don't look that out of place in the house.

Silly is in the eye of the beholder.

That said - Calico Critters are smaller than 1:12, and I think they look better with the 1:16 furniture like Lundby or at least surrounded with similarly sized furniture. I have a Lundby house (easy to put together and pre-wallpapered) for my daughter with a Sylvanian/Calico Critter family in it. And it works just fine.