Faux flagstone test

SewMini

I'm new here but I thought I'd share some craft nerdery since I've not seen it here (granted I haven't looked that hard lol). I've been trying to think of how to get a flagstone/slate look floor in my Orchid build on the cheap.  I have this huge roll of artist paper that I was planning on using for a stone look on the outside of the house and decided to see if I could also use it to make faux flagstone for the first floor. I layered shredded strips of paper onto a base piece and then cut the piece down into squares. Even though it's not painted a flagstone color (and I did a terrible job cutting it up)  I think it actually came out pretty cool. Has anyone else tried this? 

0453AAFC-FA81-4F20-8EAE-CC6B48C5C718_zps

Did the packing paper hold up ok havanaholly? )Though I guess since my house will be a display house it won't matter that much.) My only concern is that over time it wouldn't be as good as a spackle finish but it's very light weight and budget friendly given I have what feels like miles and miles of this art paper. Plus I already have the supplies I need. I'm already getting tired of trips to Home Depot :D 

After I got it all glued on I sealed it with clear sanding sealer or lacquer and it made the move from Havana to Seminole and La Casita lives on my desk.  Even with two little people living in it the floors don't get scuffed (although both my little folks are barefoot).

Looks great Miranda!

I did a country kitchen floor with torn sheets of paper & poster board - coated with water putty then

painted blueish gray, dabbed with earth tones, sealed with water based poly stain.

Its still holding up fine considering its stored in our basement.  :eek:

gallery_4762_3735_117846.jpg

For the past several years, theater trays have been my weapon of choice for slate and other stonework.  They are free in any theater here in Tucson. They take paint well and are easily cut with a good pair of scissors. There are lots of examples on my blog.

Hit the URL below my signature to find examples. "My blog changes daily",below. Look under stonework in the sidebar.

• Like 1

I was actually really surprised with how realistic they looked Holly. I thought they would come out looking kind of ok but I think with a coat of paint and some dry brushing they will look just right. After I got them glued and cut, I just kind of looked at them and said "Well would you look at that!" I totally agree with you about how fun it is to create effects with bits and bobs. That's what makes it challenging and fun. It's why I love doing cosplay so much. Same concepts just different materials :) 

Edited by SewMini

Miranda, see if you can find any books in your library by Patricia King.  She makes the most awesome miniatures out of broken jewelry bits, table trash, and miscellaneous junk; I made a 1:24 kitchen sink from polymer clay, a restaurant jelly packet, toothpicks and some earring backs:

kitchen.JPG