Hello, newby from The Netherlands

Sweet

Hi all, I am an older girl (55) from The Netherlands and I love woodworking.

In the past few years I have made two dollhouses  for my two lovely nieces.

The third one wil be for myself. I will make it from scratch, that is what I like.
Since I will not by starting right now (the plan is to buy a new real home first) I want to read all about your dollshouses untill the real house purchased and completed.
Then I will finf the time to actually build the dollshouse.

I apologize for my English language, Dutch is my main language ;-)

Hi Margreet! Welcome to our mini family! Your English is perfectly fine! It is my second language and I struggle sometimes but everybody here is awesome and that will not be a problem. I am almost 55 myself and I know your feelings about dollhouses, I am in love too! Good luck with your new house and hopefully it will not take you a long time to settle and be able to start with your mini one. Do you already have a plan for your dollhouse? style, size, etc? When you can, If you can, please post pictures of the ones that you made for your nieces. I like your country and hope to visit one day! See you around!:D

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Margreet, your English is just fine.  My husband and I built a scratch dollhouse for our first granddaughter when she was 6 and then San Franciscan dollhouse from a kit and then I built a different  kit for myself.  My coworkers saw pictures of the house I built for me and I was besieged for small houses for their children and grandchildren, and I discovered Greenleaf dollhouse kits, and the rest, as they say, is history.  I have even drafted plans for a scratch build that will be the one I make myself for last.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Thank you. I have read that I must make my five posts before placing pictures?

Is a reply a post?

Hi Dutchie, welcome!  :chat:

Yes a reply is a post.  And yes - you need 5 to start an album.

On the right of your post/reply it tells you how many posts you have so far.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Thank you. I have read that I must make my five posts before placing pictures?

Is a reply a post?

Yes.  Look at the left side of your reply, towards the bottom; just above where it reads:  Real Name it shows the number of posts you have made.

Aha.Thank you. Then this will be my third ;-)

I wil start looking for pictures of my former creations.
The first one was a simple kidshouse made from a plan in a magazine.

The second house was the house I grew up in, an old fashioned  detached three story house.
My sister, who bought it from our parents gave me the buildingplans to work with.
My biggest mistake was to make it 1:10, I had not heard of 1:12 or 1:24!
So I ended up with making the furniture myself ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

And I am reading, and reading on this forum ;-) I love it. And since I will not find time to start my house form a year or two, there is no harm gathering all the info I might need.

It is a bit difficult for me to post pictures of my two former attempts, because they are at my brother's and my sister's house and they are hardwerking persons, like me, with not much free time on hand. Pics wil come someday soon. 
I can, however, place a picture of the one I want to build, the plans are in Dutch, which is perfect for me, but they advice to use MDF or Multiplex, both not my favorites. 
I prefer limewood or birch.
I have already thought of a theme; the former house I build was the real house my grandfather build for his family (12 kids), he was the owner of greenhouses and land to grow vegetables on. My other grandfather had the same occupation, I will build this new project in his and my grandmother's honour. Especially hers, since she was such a lovely lady, tall and slim, caring and lovely. My grandfather was a small, strong and hardworking man with little o no understanding for little girls, haha.
Once I stayed a few days with them and on the first day she asked: "do you like cauliflower?" I did, so we had a great meal, but since the land gave more cauliflower they could sell we ate cauliflower every dag... It took me very long to like eating the vegetable again...

I have read that some of you name the house, I would like mine (in the future) to be called Margot, my grandmother's first name. (Pronounced as Margóó, but then with the famous Dutch 'G' ;-)

The roof can be opened, and so can the front: the part on the right with balcony.
The 'greenhouse or conservatory' on the left must look a bit more like a glass house with of course cauliflower and vines - grapes, her favorites.

01.jpg

02.jpg

You are right, that is what I ment, birch plywood. The limewood is to be used for beams (8x8 mm and 10x10 mm)

(I use the website Interglot Translation for assistance sometimes, but made a mistake... )

41 minutes ago, Sweet said:

You are right, that is what I ment, birch plywood. The limewood is to be used for beams (8x8 mm and 10x10 mm)

(I use the website Interglot Translation for assistance sometimes, but made a mistake... )

You were very clear, I understood what you meant. I was agreeing with you that the birch is much better than MDF.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Limewood is what we call basswood over here in the US, I believe.

There is a good description of limewood/basswood here. They are both members of the genus Tilia.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Dutchie! :wave:

What a gorgeous house you are going to build. I can't wait to see you progress... That greenhouse is particularly beautiful. It's going to look great once outfitted with greenery. :D