Painting

debbru

I'm just about finished painting my first dollshouse (storybook cottage), the outside isn't as smooth as I would have liked, can someone tell me what I could do? Also when I was doing a touch up, I accidentally got some paint on a shingle, how can I get this off

2 hours ago, debbru said:

I'm just about finished painting my first dollshouse (storybook cottage), the outside isn't as smooth as I would have liked, can someone tell me what I could do? Also when I was doing a touch up, I accidentally got some paint on a shingle, how can I get this off

2 hours ago, Sable said:

This is why I apply a very thin coat of drywall compound with a putty knife on the wood, dry then sand outside for a smooth finish. 

Spackle will also work to smooth your wall.  Paint remover (orange goo) or turps, then sand?

• Like 1

Gloppy old paint can be a PIA.  I had one rehab that had some really awful thick latex paint; fortunately they had done an excellent job priming, and the heat gun sort of melted the latex paint into a mess that separated from the primer and scraped right off.  If its just flaky old paint that has scraped off as much as will scrape & sand, then the drywall or spackling compound will cover a multitude of sins and sand smooth as a baby's rear end.

It always takes a few coats of paint to get it smooth as I like it. When you paint wood, it pulls up the grain some, making it rough. So I would sand lightly between coats and apply a couple more, or until it's how you are happy.

For the paint on the shingle, I would try scraping it off gently with an exacto knife, small layers at a time, or sanding carefully.

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

For the paint on the shingle, I would try scraping it off gently with an exacto knife, small layers at a time, or sanding carefully.

Or if it fits the ambience of the house, glue a little "moss" over the spots of paint and add to other parts of the roof for a weathered look.

I use steel wool to smooth coated surfaces, not sure if this will help with your situation but you can try if you still have leftover paint of the same color for retouching. If you do make sure to mask the other surfaces around the edges for protection, clean the dust well before repainting and try light coats.