Custom dollhouse lights

SewMini

Work in progress and I'll do some wooden bases or / and side pieces but so far it works......could adapt it for a pendant too. The tube is 20mm outside diameter and 16mm inside.

This is lit with a single GOW but I could have used a second further up.

The outer panel is optional and the design variable.......as is the colour.

Mod108s.jpg

Mod109s.jpg

3 hours ago, SewMini said:

Ooooooohhhhh! What is the outer panel made of? Paper?

It's vinyl Miranda..........standard sign vinyls I get in A4 sheets or on the roll and in a wide variety go colours.........I get it from 'Sign makers suppliers" so not too expensive. If you get it with the name 'Craft' or 'Hobby' on it, it will cost the earth!

I also make Illuminated signs for 1/12th shops.

3 hours ago, SewMini said:

Ooooooohhhhh! What is the outer panel made of? Paper?

This could have been in silver, white is effective or around 50 other colours!

5 hours ago, MikeUK said:

This is lit with a single GOW but I could have used a second further up.

Ooohh... yes a second one... remember those two bulb cylinder lights from the seventies? My parents had one on a stand that had 3 cylinders of differing heights the two tallest lit with 2 of those large seventies bulbs.. they were frosted glass so the set up looked like a giant candle plate! :rofl:

They didn't have anything as fancy as yours Mike... to expensive. :D

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

Ooohh... yes a second one... remember those two bulb cylinder lights from the seventies? My parents had one on a stand that had 3 cylinders of differing heights the two tallest lit with 2 of those large seventies bulbs.. they were frosted glass so the set up looked like a giant candle plate! :rofl:

They didn't have anything as fancy as yours Mike... to expensive. :D

I've always tried to live well beyond my means Sam!.......I'm buying this tubing at a meter length and it cuts easy and smooth on the saw so different sizes are not a problem!............I've been sticking beams on the side of my new project most of the day or I'd have done a couple more!

Hospital day today but I did manage a pendant light for my new build..........the wires will loose the kinks with a little aid from Rosemary's hair dryer........

Not overpowering lights but I try to keep visible lighting a little dimmer then the room is lit to normal levels by hidden spots!

Warning.......these lights require some pretty 'exotic language' in order to get them hanging right! 

SC010s.jpg

SC011s.jpg

3 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Hospital day today but I did manage a pendant light for my new build..........the wires will loose the kinks with a little aid from Rosemary's hair dryer........

Not overpowering lights but I try to keep visible lighting a little dimmer then the room is lit to normal levels by hidden spots!

Warning.......these lights require some pretty 'exotic language' in order to get them hanging right! 

SC010s.jpg

SC011s.jpg

Wow!:drool2:

They are gorgeous Mike!... I can't believe the elves didn't help you hang them! 

I find there's a lot about this hobby that makes me use exotic language... I'm getting quite the vocabulary.. :D

7 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Wow!:drool2:

They are gorgeous Mike!... I can't believe the elves didn't help you hang them! 

I find there's a lot about this hobby that makes me use exotic language... I'm getting quite the vocabulary.. :D

The elves quit as soon as I told them I'd had a higher offer for the building from an artist!

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

My building language sometimes includes a few *MAGIC* words...

Surely not Holly!............they must work though!

4 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

When my sweet aunt fell out of the hay loft. ..broke both ankles.   She said. And I quote " oh dirty words, dirty words"  loved that lady 

Now who could be offended by that!.......I'm just trying to imagine what I'd say..................perhaps not!

4 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

She said. And I quote " oh dirty words, dirty words"  loved that lady

I might have to start trying that.  I have been told I could give truck drivers lessons.  Sometimes, when I get going, I scare the cat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I might have to start trying that.  I have been told I could give truck drivers lessons.  Sometimes, when I get going, I scare the cat.

I run a warehouse full of truck drivers.. I could give them all lessons.. lolol

Yeah, I'll be honest. I curse like a drunken sailor who just found out his leave got shortened. When I was making my friend's Kylo Ren costume there were more than a few choice words shouted at inanimate objects. Trying to sew through 6 layers of heavy canvas really makes the "magic" words come out.

• Like 2

When I am in my workroom my dog is always at my feet, unless I am hammering then she goes outside to sit.  When I say a curse word she immediately gets up and leaves the room she knows things are not going well.  10-15 minutes later she will come to the door peak in if all seems well she is back at my feet.  Does that mean I curse too much since the dog has figured out when to exit?

"Way back when DH & I owned a bookstore and many of our customers were bikers, as in Hell's Angels & Outlaws (we sold an awful lot of Chilton motorcycle repair manuals) as well as sailors and truckers.  I learned a lot of "colorful" language...

I've been thinking that I might be able to make it using netting that would go under a dress which I have in my fabric stash. I just need to track down DD's water balloons. That said, I've also been considering trying to make some Ikea style origami paper lights. I picked up two very rustic looking lantern style lights in St. Louis this weekend which is work for the kitchen. I'm still planning on the mason jar lights for the dining room. The living room chandelier and the bedroom chandelier are the only ones up in the air right now. I found a pendant light that will work for the bathroom with some painting OR I can add something around it to make it a bit more modern. It's Victorian style but not too ornate or flowery. In fact, now that I think of it, I may make that into the living room chandelier and add some crystals around it. Hmmmm.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post there lol.

6 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post there lol.

It's enlightening to get a glimpse into the mind of someone else. Your processes are very close to my own. It's the "follow your nose" method of getting to an unintended yet perfect destination. :D