American vs. British dollhouses

MessyCrafter

On February 26, 2017 at 12:02:31 AM, shannonc60 said:

I too prefer front opening and more than one room deep. I have the Dollshouse Emporium Mountfield which opens on three sides and I adore it. I could happily build another one. I also have the Sid Cook Coxwolds, and it also opens on three sides. I also add window/door openings in sides and backs. 

I also make and sell 1:24 scale kits. I have only two houses for sale currently but one, a cottage, opens at the back and side with detail on all four sides. (The other kit is a French shop/residence) 

Oh goodness I should not have looked up these kits- love them both and I can see how you do too!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017, 4:49:30, MessyCrafter said:

I love this!! So cute! Your kids have the same age ranges as mine- mine are 10,16, 23 and 26!  And here I thought we were the only crazy ones like that! I don't think your back windows would have to match exactly.  But at least I guess you would want them to be square.  I'd love to see the inside! Hmm love your idea of finding the house in the US and maybe saving some money on the shipping- it is ridiculous!! But the April Cottage is so darned cute lol!

Ha! Yes! Since there are five or less years between each child, I've been home with a baby/toddler/preschooler for eighteen years now! It will be so strange to send my last to kindergarten in three years and have the house to myself for a couple hours a day! I'm hoping I'll have lots of time for hobbies!

We're still trying to figure out what to do with the windows! I've emailed Dolls House Workshop but have only received a confirmation email in return. I'm now thinking maybe we'll just buy some wide windows to replace the originals, then we could get all the same for front and back. I'm a little sad to do that as the originals, though not realistic, have a certain charm. I'm also worried about cutting into the MDF on the front of the house. Yikes! Decisions, decisions. Waiting for our weather to get nicer so we can finish priming everything and get moving on this project!