American vs. British dollhouses

MessyCrafter

Hi there- I'm new here- from the American South.  I've been working on a few dollhouses (finished two) for a few years now and love it! I have a question though- I've been loving this British dollhouse I"ve seen online- only I notice it opens in the front- so when it's opened you don't really see the windows anymore- there are no windows in the back.  I think that would drive me mad even though it's just the cutest house ever (and I love, love, love the Cotswolds and it reminds me of that) it's the DHE April Cottage.  Has anyone here, Americans maybe lol made the switch and work on something that opened from the front- and how did you find it- were you happy with it in the end? I love adding detail to my windows.  Maybe I can change it so it opens to the back with some bashing?! Ideas, opinions?

I'm brand new here, as of yesterday. I have always loved the British-style dolls houses. I think it's so smart that they close up and keep the dust out. Plus, I like the idea that they can be displayed more simply with the pretty front facing out. That said, I've always just admired them from afar. About seven years ago I bought my daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage. I've got five kids (ages 2 through 18) so life is hectic and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it with the help of my mechanically-inclined son. We really would like to add windows to the back so I'm looking into that as well. The windows that came with the house are specific to the house so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time hunting for windows to match/coordinate. We may need to just replace all the windows with something more readily available. There are some other issues with this particular dolls house, the ceilings are low and there's not much architectural detail but we're looking forward to making it work and building our first house together! Sorry for the long, not very helpful comment but I look forward to seeing what you do if you decide to purchase a British-style dolls house!

Miller's Cottage .jpg

1 hour ago, lainakay said:

I'm brand new here, as of yesterday...

Gee, Darlaina, I must have missed your introduction in the Newcomers' Forum (hint, hint)...

6 minutes ago, jdodyd said:

What I would like to see is an "American-style" dollhouse that came with the option of a hinged back with windows and a doorway already in the back.  How about it, Greenleaf?

One could always invest in a piece of plywood & a length of piano hinge, and cut a back to fit & decorate it...

• Like 2

Wait a minute! Didn't we settle the Colonies vs. the King war a few hundred years ago? It's a dolls house, ladies. Each style is what it is. You can do to it or with it anything that turns it into the house of your dreams. Whether anyone else is happy with the outcome is irrelevant. 

End of lecture ... go, have fun bringing your personal dreams to life. :D 

• Like 1

I've never really liked front opening because I like to see the architectural detail from the inside. However I do agree that they are more practical from a dust perspective. I think during construction you could just glue the front on and hinge the back to change it to a rear opening. Then you get the best of both worlds. :D

36 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Gee, Darlaina, I must have missed your introduction in the Newcomers' Forum (hint, hint)...

One could always invest in a piece of plywood & a length of piano hinge, and cut a back to fit & decorate it...

I'm new to forums, too! I guess I missed the Newcomers' Forum. I'll go find it. : )

I'm brand new here, as of yesterday. I have always loved the British-style dolls houses. I think it's so smart that they close up and keep the dust out. Plus, I like the idea that they can be displayed more simply with the pretty front facing out. That said, I've always just admired them from afar. About seven years ago I bought my daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage. I've got five kids (ages 2 through 18) so life is hectic and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it with the help of my mechanically-inclined son. We really would like to add windows to the back so I'm looking into that as well. The windows that came with the house are specific to the house so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time hunting for windows to match/coordinate. We may need to just replace all the windows with something more readily available. There are some other issues with this particular dolls house, the ceilings are low and there's not much architectural detail but we're looking forward to making it work and building our first house together! Sorry for the long, not very helpful comment but I look forward to seeing what you do if you decide to purchase a British-style dolls house!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

I've never really liked front opening because I like to see the architectural detail from the inside. However I do agree that they are more practical from a dust perspective. I think during construction you could just glue the front on and hinge the back to change it to a rear opening. Then you get the best of both worlds. :D

I enjoy front opening houses for two reasons.......1) I enjoy seeing the 'face' of the building.......where the main emphasis is put on the architecture and 2) because once the front is open I can do so much more with the fixed space within.

Then again I'm probably slightly biased given that I can't think of any rear opening houses over here!

We have a hinge on the front of our real house!.........great for sweeping the dust out.........and a breeze when it comes to getting large pieces of furniture in..............!

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Wait a minute! Didn't we settle the Colonies vs. the King war a few hundred years ago? It's a dolls house, ladies. Each style is what it is. You can do to it or with it anything that turns it into the house of your dreams. Whether anyone else is happy with the outcome is irrelevant. 

End of lecture ... go, have fun bringing your personal dreams to life. :D 

It's not actually a debate ;)  I love the look of the British houses- so cute- especially for me who likes to visit England and adores the lifestyle/architecture.  But one of the things I love about decorating the houses is doing up little window scenes- big window sills filled with plants or candles, etc.  A bay window with a window seat.  I don't know if I'll miss that- it's one of the things that makes it look real to me........But I guess the best thing to do is to make some windows of my own on the sides and back of a British house!  I'm not so great with that but my husband is!  

3 hours ago, lainakay said:

Miller's Cottage .jpg

I love this!! So cute! Your kids have the same age ranges as mine- mine are 10,16, 23 and 26!  And here I thought we were the only crazy ones like that! I don't think your back windows would have to match exactly.  But at least I guess you would want them to be square.  I'd love to see the inside! Hmm love your idea of finding the house in the US and maybe saving some money on the shipping- it is ridiculous!! But the April Cottage is so darned cute lol!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

I enjoy front opening houses for two reasons.......1) I enjoy seeing the 'face' of the building.......where the main emphasis is put on the architecture and 2) because once the front is open I can do so much more with the fixed space within.

Then again I'm probably slightly biased given that I can't think of any rear opening houses over here!

I love how Mike takes advantage of no windows in the rear by placing entertainment center's, lovely closet doors, doors to faux stairs...

• Like 1

As a fellow European here I can safely say it's not just the British... at local miniature shows I never find American style Dollhouses, even custom built ones from scratch rarelly do the '360' all sides view. I feel like a bit like an 'odd bird' around here, coming into this hobby from the diorama and architectural model scene I love to look at building from multiple angles.. one of the things I love about american kits is that even the 'open back' style usually have architectural details on the sides as well not just the front.

I really like front opening dollhouses too, specially the french styles, the straight back can be customized with fake doors and windows to create the illusion that the house has more rooms or even an illuminated background scene. I must admit they are probably a lot more practical in many ways, the dust protection alone is a big plus!

I guess my 'perfect' kind of dollhouse would be a fully enclosed, all sides view, with all architectural details and detacheable walls... something like Ron James work, if only I could be that pro at making perfect fits but alas... I can dream! In my opinion if you love it don't let the details discourage you from trying, make the house however you imagine it to be :)

• Like 3

Its your doll house, build it or bash it as you would like it to be. I love looking into windows and seeing complete rooms, I have added backs to several doll houses of mine that originally did not have a back and many now have windows on all sides. If I had the time, I would add backs to all of mine.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I guess my 'perfect' kind of dollhouse would be a fully enclosed, all sides view, with all architectural details and detacheable walls..

I'm such an amateur that I read and learn here rather than post, but I do want to mention that there is one of those - and I've been working on it for over two years.  My first dollhouse is Earth and Tree's Lyndeborough in half scale.  They make it in 1:12 too.  http://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16  And I'd like to give a shout out to the owners and staff of Earth and Tree for being so helpful.

The Lyndeborough is two rooms deep, opens on both front and back and it does need a turntable.  If I had it to do over again I'd hinge the walls that open - mine relies on magnets to keep them in place. The end is in sight with my Lydeborough.  I'm still not satisfied with the floors and may redo them. ;)

I'm originally from the UK and search out the front opening and fully enclosed houses.  They just call to me for personal (those were the dollhouses I lusted after as a child) and practical (dust and pets) reasons.  There is also the RGT Thornhill, of course, that has 4 opening panels.  It has been discontinued and was really expensive but perhaps one will turn up on Ebay sometime.

And many thanks everyone for saving me from many amateur mistakes.  There is a wealth of knowledge here. 

• Like 1

I wish more houses were constructed with the sides open (like Majestic Mansions) that way the back of the house can be next to the wall, the interior can be viewed by both sides so no need to be on a turntable or in the middle of the room and the front is always exposed.  

I too prefer front opening and more than one room deep. I have the Dollshouse Emporium Mountfield which opens on three sides and I adore it. I could happily build another one. I also have the Sid Cook Coxwolds, and it also opens on three sides. I also add window/door openings in sides and backs. 

I also make and sell 1:24 scale kits. I have only two houses for sale currently but one, a cottage, opens at the back and side with detail on all four sides. (The other kit is a French shop/residence) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nell said:

I'm such an amateur that I read and learn here rather than post, but I do want to mention that there is one of those - and I've been working on it for over two years.  My first dollhouse is Earth and Tree's Lyndeborough in half scale.  They make it in 1:12 too.  http://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16  And I'd like to give a shout out to the owners and staff of Earth and Tree for being so helpful.

The Lyndeborough is two rooms deep, opens on both front and back and it does need a turntable.  If I had it to do over again I'd hinge the walls that open - mine relies on magnets to keep them in place. The end is in sight with my Lydeborough.  I'm still not satisfied with the floors and may redo them. ;)

I'm originally from the UK and search out the front opening and fully enclosed houses.  They just call to me for personal (those were the dollhouses I lusted after as a child) and practical (dust and pets) reasons.  There is also the RGT Thornhill, of course, that has 4 opening panels.  It has been discontinued and was really expensive but perhaps one will turn up on Ebay sometime.

And many thanks everyone for saving me from many amateur mistakes.  There is a wealth of knowledge here. 

What a pretty house! It looks substantial too! I like all of the houses on their site- and love the fully enclosed idea.  I'd imagine magnets might be hard to open close though- good idea with the hinges

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I too prefer front opening and more than one room deep. I have the Dollshouse Emporium Mountfield which opens on three sides and I adore it. I could happily build another one. I also have the Sid Cook Coxwolds, and it also opens on three sides. I also add window/door openings in sides and backs. 

I also make and sell 1:24 scale kits. I have only two houses for sale currently but one, a cottage, opens at the back and side with detail on all four sides. (The other kit is a French shop/residence) 

So Shannon were  you happy with your DHE kit? Did you feel the quality was good? I think if I get the April cottage I will add windows in the back and sides and that would satisfy me plenty ;)  

14 hours ago, MessyCrafter said:

So Shannon were  you happy with your DHE kit? Did you feel the quality was good? I think if I get the April cottage I will add windows in the back and sides and that would satisfy me plenty ;)  

Yes it was good, although I don't love the windows. It is an MDF kit. At a guess they may all be, so if you don't like MDF, it may not be for you.