Excited to build my first dolls house!

lainakay

Hello there! I'm new here and new to building dolls houses. I love design -- graphic, interior and architectural -- and I love miniature things. What better way to combine these interests than dolls houses?! I'm a busy mom to five children, ages 2 through 18, so there's not a lot of time for hobbies but seven years ago I bought my oldest daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. I love the idea of front-opening dolls houses for the dust free aspect and the ease of display.  At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage where it stayed through another move and the birth of my last baby. Life is hectic with five kids at home and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it and have so many ideas. We want to add windows to the back and there are some challenges, like low ceilings and unusually proportioned windows and door, but we're looking forward to making it work and building together. I'm so glad to have found this forum, so much inspiration and know-how will certainly come in handy! My younger daughters have already picked out the dolls houses they want me to build with them so there will be lots of building going on around here. I'd better get to work!

Miller's Cottage .jpg

Miller's Cottage Interior.jpg

On 2/25/2017, 7:55:23, mesp2k said:

Hi Darlaina, welcome!

Great house, do you have the option water wheel, cause I'm think'n stone walls?

Its nice to hear that your kids are wanting to get in on the fun!

No, we don't have the water wheel. I never even saw it available anywhere when I bought the house. I think they were phasing out the house, it is now discontinued. We're going for a simple traditional house but stone walls would've been a nice touch with the water wheel! It's going to be fun to do these with my kids and I'm excited to get a collection of houses going! My next daughter in line wants to make a bakery, we're already pinning ideas. So much fun stuff out there!

On 2/24/2017, 4:10:28, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family,  Darlaina.  I have discovered that making one's own furniture, etc., is a grand way to accommodate low ceilings and other structural problems.

Thanks! Good idea! I've pinned some tutorials for making my own furniture. That will definitely help!