Hello from California

AndreaJane

Hi there.  I'm Andrea from California.  I am fairly new to the miniature/dollhouse world.  My only foray into the art has been a haunted shadow box (sort of an apothecary shop theme).  I have been an ardent stalker and pinner of all things miniature, figuring at some point I would take the plunge.

As luck would have it I was on Craigslist last night and found a listing for an already built Beacon Hill for $80.  It was fate, I tell you.  Today she is mine.  She needs quite a bit of cosmetic restoration.  She appears to have been assembled nicely though - and as I told the woman I purchased her from I am more interested in the decorating aspect than I am of the building.  

Here she is in all her before glory.  First on the to do list is an exterior paint job.  Then I'll start tackling the interior.

BeaconHill Before 2.jpg

BeaconHill Before1.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Andrea.  You are going to want to take your time, especially redecorating around those stairs, but you have a good house to start on.  Blue painter's tape will cover the clear plastic window and door inserts for repainting trims.  I find those last blank sheets of copier paper after a print run are terrific for making patterns for repapering walls & ceilings or templates for floors and removable wall coverings to access tape wiring.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.  

My plan is an all white exterior.  The blue on there right now is actually paint (in case anyone was thinking it was painter's tape).  It's going to take a heavy duty primer to cover all that!    

My inspiration is the house from Practical Magic.  I wanted it life size but since I can't have that I'll settle for the miniature version!

https://nettlesandturnips.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/img_1227.jpg

1 hour ago, AndreaJane said:

My plan is an all white exterior.  The blue on there right now is actually paint (in case anyone was thinking it was painter's tape)...

No, I didn't say it was painter's tape, what I thought I said was that you will want to cover the clear plastic windows & door inserts with blue painters' tape so you don't splop paint on them when you do your priming & repainting.  You might want to rethink ALL white exterior once you have it primed.

Yes - totally agree on the painter's tape on the windows.  There is already some clean up work from the previous paint job that I'll need to do.  Actually if I'm going for authentic it pretty much looks like how my house would if I was in charge of painting it :) (not my strong suit, painting).  

Samusa - thank you for the link to the Practical Magic doll house.  Wow - what a labor of love.  

Mesp2k - thank you for the link to Hooked on Houses.  I had forgotten about that website.  The sad thing is the exterior of the house was just a shell and torn down after filming.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndreaJane said:

My plan is an all white exterior.  The blue on there right now is actually paint (in case anyone was thinking it was painter's tape).  It's going to take a heavy duty primer to cover all that!    

My inspiration is the house from Practical Magic.  I wanted it life size but since I can't have that I'll settle for the miniature version!

https://nettlesandturnips.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/img_1227.jpg

I'm planning an all white exterior for my San Franciscan also... Lot's of people advise against it but I don't care I saw this house and fell in love  Image result for white victorian dollhouse

55 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I'm planning an all white exterior for my San Franciscan also... Lot's of people advise against it but I don't care I saw this house and fell in love  Image result for white victorian dollhouse

I did the same with my rehab.  I did paint the cedar shingles green.  Rehab Addict  gave me inspiration  for that.  Only small detail was very, very pale blue doors.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I did the same with my rehab.  I did paint the cedar shingles green.  Rehab Addict  gave me inspiration  for that.  Only small detail was very, very pale blue doors.

I could only find one "in progress" picture of your San Franciscan on your pinterest page Lawanda. It didn't have the doors in yet, but from what I can see it looks beautiful! I love all white. :D

I never got around to taking more pictures.   Unfortunately it was sacrificed to the cat to save all the others.  When the old boy crosses that rainbow bridge,  I will return her to her glory. My husband made the suggestion to make Sir a house of his own,  the San Franciscan was void of furniture,  so I loaned it to him..

On 2/27/2017, 4:19:48, Samusa said:

I'm planning an all white exterior for my San Franciscan also...

On 2/27/2017, 10:46:14, AndreaJane said:

My plan is an all white exterior...

Lots of white dollhouse inspiration > Click