Lead roofing - has anyone tried?

smjsome

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The only problem I see with using real lead is its toxicity.

Yes, it would require gloves, mask and a sealer when done. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it if it's for a child.

I've been making road signs out of aluminum cans. The aluminum has been very nice to work with. Just cut off the tops and down the center and you have nice sheets to work with. Cuts very easily with scissors. Just use caution around the sharp edges.  You can score the sheets with a dull point to assist with folds.  No toxicity.

i painted it with Citadel Chainmail paint and it looks just like lead and/or galvanized steel.

• Like 1

If you want to use metal you can try alluminium sheets as Sable sugested, 0,5mm thickness or under would be the best to work with.

I was going to try that but unfortunatelly at my hardware store they were out of stock (customers keep damaging the sheets...), so I tried 0,4mm plywood and basswood strips instead, coated it in metalic spraypaint. It does the illusion fine I think, the advantage over metal is I won't have to worry about 'dents' in the future, you can see them here. For larger scale, I'm with Samusa's 'dado rail' suggestion ;)

• Like 1

That is exactly what I want!  And answered my questions on how to run the wood strips!  It's so pretty!

I took a look at my house roof, and I think the tiny wood strips might just be able to glue directly on, or if not, use the wood sheets as suggested. 

I don't need actual metal, just the appearance of metal!

i do want an aged look, so I will try dry brushing - hopefully I can be artistic enough!  Hah

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smjsome said:

That is exactly what I want!  And answered my questions on how to run the wood strips!  It's so pretty!

I took a look at my house roof, and I think the tiny wood strips might just be able to glue directly on, or if not, use the wood sheets as suggested. 

I don't need actual metal, just the appearance of metal!

i do want an aged look, so I will try dry brushing - hopefully I can be artistic enough!  Hah

Yes you can definitely use the kit's roof as a base for this, I only made new templates because I wanted to change the size. If you need to smooth the surface to remove the wood texture, you can sand it a bit before painting, and then during paiting (in between coats) with steel wool. I've used that method and is quite easy to use the wool even on corners between the strips. I had seen that on a tutorial recomending sanding in between coats of spraypaint, makes the metalic color even and shinnier. Ageing is easy as well, you can use metalic acrylic paint after for layering effects looks very nice :)

• Like 1

A very thin coat of spackle dried & sanded will also give a smooth finish.  I think once you get the nice metallic look you could easily age it by rushing grated black & gray chalk pastels on with a soft brush and rubbing them in with a bit of paper towel.