On the walls

Hooknink

How about trying to put it on backing paper or card stock & then affixing to the walls. You will probably need to seal it with a matt sealer of some sort also, to protect it from dust etc.

Liquid laundry starch is a good "glue" for sticking cloth to the walls or ceiling (and renders it easily removable should you wish to replace it later on). I would prime the walls with a light colored paint first and attach directly to the wall unless you wish to use a backing for some other reason. I would not use any kind of top coating unless you want to knock down the fuzzy surface texture of the flannel. I once inherited a room box that had been "papered" with a light colored cotton cloth that had not been coated with anything. The dust that had collected was easily removed with a burst of canned air. 

This thread is a good example of how many ways there are to skin any particular cat and what a great place this forum is for brainstorming challenges. Experiment, then go with what feels right to you.

I'm with Kathie, you don't need paper for a backing. I "wallpapered" my real kitchen (base housing) with fabric and liquid starch and it turned out great.(I soaked the fabric in the liquid starch and stuck it on the walls) Three years later when we moved, I pulled it off the walls easily. I even washed the fabric and have since used it for quilt backs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nolephan said:

I'm with Kathie, you don't need paper for a backing. I "wallpapered" my real kitchen (base housing) with fabric and liquid starch and it turned out great.(I soaked the fabric in the liquid starch and stuck it on the walls) Three years later when we moved, I pulled it off the walls easily. I even washed the fabric and have since used it for quilt backs.

That sounds so cool. I like thinking I won't really "mess up" the fabric and if I want to frame it later I can.