Do you pre-buy your furnishings?

AndreaJane

Do you pre-buy your dollhouse furnishings before your house is complete?   I have been on a bit of an online shopping spree and I'm thinking I need to dial it back a bit and actually finish all the work that needs to be done on the house before I can even decorate it.    Like LOTS of work.  

It is just so darn easy to pop things in an online shopping cart and then the next thing you know you've spent almost $200.  I mean I *suppose* that could happen to someone.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

Do you pre-buy your dollhouse furnishings before your house is complete?   I have been on a bit of an online shopping spree and I'm thinking I need to dial it back a bit and actually finish all the work that needs to be done on the house before I can even decorate it.    Like LOTS of work.  

It is just so darn easy to pop things in an online shopping cart and then the next thing you know you've spent almost $200.  I mean I *suppose* that could happen to someone.....

Back when I could afford it I bought some things from HBS to finish decorating the interior of my Cambridge, and I went sort of berserk at Dolls' House Emporium's site to finish it off with accessories and furniture kits.  Then I retired and since then I make whatever I put into my houses.  I wait until I finish construction to buy (back then( or make (now) what I put into my houses because the house wants certain things and I need them to fit.  Furnishing my granddaughter's San Franciscan and my Cambridge showed me that not all of what we buy will fit.

• Like 1

I have no idea what you're talking about *hides ebay order from this morning*

I think if there is a big piece that you want to make sure fits it's a good idea to go ahead and get it because that might change how you lay out the house. For instance, I'm nowhere near even putting my dollhouse together in one piece and yet I've already got the bones of my kitchen made and in the room so I can map out where I'm putting electrical. 

• Like 4

Yes I have pre-bought stuff for an unfinished or yet-purchased house. It was a lot of fun for a while and perhaps an obsession. But after years of doing that, I finally calmed down and matured enough to think about my projects. Honing my patience-skills really helped. Now I think carefully about pieces and I am choosy. It results in great pieces and is way better for the pocketbook. I also find I get a few nicer things instead of hoarding loads of stuff.

But I will also be honest, when I was into pre-buying I bought like, EVERYTHING, so that probably helped me get over it too. Now I have boxes of items I probably won't use, and I give stuff away and am taking it to a swap this year. Lesson learned. I think the only way to learn it tho was to indulge for a while.

Well I didn't mention the box of working windows and doors and period kitchen appliances I have put back in my workshop for the Gustav Stickley house I scaled down plans to build from scratch when I finish building all those kits...

• Like 1

If you like it buy it!.........and if in the likely event it doesn't fit the house you're on now..........well there's always the next one.......or the one after that.

It's all about choices and the more choices you have then the happier you become.........I allocate my pension thus........10% Utilities.......10% Household.........5% Food (I'm very slim) and that leaves just on 75% for Miniatures!

I am very careful with my money though and being a fully unpaid member of my local 'food bank' helps a lot!

Well, there were the five little elves I bought just because they were so darned cute. If they weren't in my stash, the White Orchid Christmas House that came along later may never have been built. How's that for buying something for a house that wasn't even a wisp of a thought? Other than that, I have a general idea in my head of how I want to furnish projects under construction. I sometimes ... uh, often buy things for them before they're finished. As Mike so wisely advises ... if you like it, buy it!

Absolutely!  I start making/buying things sometimes months before I start a house.  I made a chair for the Merrimack rec room back in September.  I didn't even get the kit for it until Christmas!  And, of course, I had to take advantage of Shapeways Black Friday sale in November.  :rolleyes: It really does help in laying out the house to have at least some of the furnishings I'll be using.  For example, it might affect where I'll place a light or, to the extent there is leeway, a wall.  I don't get all my furnishings.  Once I start building the rooms, I put the pieces in (temporarily) and start arranging them.  Then I know what/how much else I can put in.  Also, sometimes I just get a bug about something I'd like to try making.  I see no reason to wait until the house is done to do that.  It will just drive me crazy wondering how it will turn out.  

• Like 1

In my experience, I will try to tell you as brief as I can: pre-buying furniture is WAY more fun (I loved it when I started) but WAY more $. Why? because one thing is what you envision your decoration will be for a particular house when you start, and another is what you will finally do when it's finished. I changed a lot my plans on the way, and yes, I ended up expending double to get what I finally wanted. The result, I ended up with lots of stuff that I never used, and don't know if I will ever use. It took me almost 4 years to put the foot on the break and stop myself. Now I also plan better, take my time before purchasing, make sure I know what I want, and yes, buy less but better stuff. It is addictive all the way! Get ready!:blush:

• Like 2

I can't find the "brake ".....but then I'm not looking for it.  Lol.  I raised 5 kids, retired from the Air Force,  never dud what I wanted.  Now. ....kids are grown one their own, spouse works, I'm home alone daily.    My houses are my life.  And houses need furniture.   Oops. Gotta go check ebay 

• Like 1

In my honest opinion... I don't think 'pre-buying' furnishings is a very good idea, but let me explain my thoughts on this...

Buying pieces for your collection, that you may/may-not use on a build sometime in the future, it's great! If you find something you love why not, it might even inspire you later on, or you just find a good bargain. I collect 1:12 pieces and I don't have a house in that scale, I just like the artist's work and seeing them displayed on my curio, I may one day give them a home who knows, but that's not the reason I bought them.

However, I think 'buying full sets of furniture with the sole purpose to furnish a specific house that you have yet not built' is not the best priority to have: not only you don't know what the rooms will look like (even if you plan ahead really well, you can always change your mind), they may not fit the space as well as you thought or you may end up thinking that you need to make the room match the furniture... instead of your own imagination (hope that makes sense)! Of course if it's something very specific you need to make sure 'fits' the space while your building, let's say... you want to plan a spot for a bathtub, by all means go ahead and test it first. But I do think that it's way more important to focus on the build and invest in materials and components to finish it, and that alone can be quite costly in itself if you are building a large house. I just think making sure you have the electrical components and fixtures, wood, papper, paints, door/window components, etc... is more important than having fully furnished rooms. 

Just my two cents, of course if you make most of your furniture this point is a bit moot, same for furniture kits, and if you already have 90% of the materials you need to finish your build and you just need time to do it... heck why not?!

11 hours ago, AndreaJane said:

Oh my... don't even get me started... I've had 99 things (the maximum - found that out when I tried to add more:roflmao:) in my eBay shopping cart forever... Just saving them for later :D

Not only have I bought furnishings for my current construction.... that is still in dry-fit... I've also bought quite a few things for my "next" house.:blush:

I'm kinda a collector - and I spent many many years moving, now that I'm in place,  I buy what I find that I like, or if it's a good super cheap price and I can see its potential  ..... and some times I just find stuff, like a cool rock when I'm walking - picked it up and set it in my random shelf.  Now it's in a garden under my bakery's outside faucet, it has a bowl filled w water, and I set a tiny dragon fly in it.

I am lucky to have an entire attic space and while I am a collector, I'm also an organizer.  I love a good label maker!

so, basically when I get to the decorating stage I shop my stash and then I buy 

I do agree with what said above about not buying as much, and concentrating more on quality.  But!  I also love transforming pieces, so a 50 cent table I can transform is a good buy, in my mind.

My work room is slightly embarrassing, as I find if I can see it, I won't forget it, so I have shelves of clear boxes for the little accessories - and 4 lighted cabinets for the random furniture.  All sorted - beds, chairs, etc.  I always forget, and then someone will come into my work room for the first time and say "Sharon!  So much stuff!".  

The way I see it- I don't really buy clothes, or other things, I am very careful of how I spend my money.  (One of my cousins was giving me crap and I asked his wife in front of him, how much does your husband spend on golf each week, and he shut up)

I just enjoy miniatures and dollhouses!  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, smjsome said:

But!  I also love transforming pieces, so a 50 cent table I can transform is a good buy, in my mind. 

The way I see it- I don't really buy clothes, or other things, I am very careful of how I spend my money.  (One of my cousins was giving me crap and I asked his wife in front of him, how much does your husband spend on golf each week, and he shut up)

I just enjoy miniatures and dollhouses! 

This is me! lol.... nothing better than the satisfaction of picking up something with good lines cheap and transforming it into your vision. So much fun!

I rarely spend money on makeup & clothes, never on manicures, pedicures, facials, etc.. I home dye my hair (and only because the greys are coming.. :D  or I wouldn't do that either!).... There's nothing wrong with any of that stuff... but I just take the money that other ladies might spent on that and use it to buy minis. :)

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

I rarely spend money on makeup & clothes, never on manicures, pedicures, facials, etc.. I home dye my hair (and only because the greys are coming.. :D  or I wouldn't do that either!).... There's nothing wrong with any of that stuff... but I just take the money that other ladies might spent on that and use it to buy minis. :)

I think it's just about priorities. I rarely shop for clothes (and always buy second hand when I do) and I try not to eat out or shop unnecessarily in general. We spend less so that we can travel more because traveling is a huge part of who we are as a family. We've been traveling internationally with DD since she was 3 months old and she's now been to 45 countries. DH and I both have our "expensive" hobbies (his music and my sewing and now dollhouse building). We just watch our other expenses so that we can do these things. Spend your money on what truly excites you and don't feel guilty about it.

• Like 2

It's getting so out of hand I had to start a spreadsheet to keep track of my purchases!  :crazyeyes:

Actually I started it to keep track of how much I'm spending, what I bought and where I bought it from.  It also helps me keep track of shipments so I can get them before my husband sees them.  :)  

On 3/2/2017, 12:10:12, AndreaJane said:

What I'm a little bit nervous about is the eight packages that are all scheduled to arrive on Monday.  

Hopefully you will intercept  those packages before hubby gets to them!

Years ago I would binge buy, especially if the store had a sale, or in a going out of business sale. I did have either a house in process or one in the wings, and those house themes are now what call me to buy. Speaking of which, I need to order some wallpaper, a fireplace,  a ton of furniture...time to start shopping!

• Like 1