Dolls

Hooknink

I like the looks of some of the dolls, but I don't put them in all my houses.

My Pierce has a family in it and they even have a maid. 

I like finding Erna Meyer dolls on ebay - you can build large extended families that way. I also have enjoyed the Falcon editions of Marcia Backstrom dolls. Lovely character faces. And finally, I love the Heidi Ott dolls - they are fully jointed (the female and male dolls - not grandparents or kids, tho they are posable, but not jointed the same way) , have nice smiles and hair, and nice clothing and even removable shoes. They are pricey, but worth it for what you get, imo.

I am working up my courage to try creating a doll with polymer clay. I have practiced  small items such as dishes an cups. I have also spent endless hours watching how to videos on YouTube and Pinterest. I have the clay, now I need the courage.

21 hours ago, Hooknink said:

Who likes to have dolls for their dollhouses, thoughts and opinions? Where is a good place to look for reasonable priced posable 1:12 scale? 

Me.  I still play with my dollhouses.

16 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I think sometimes you want to use dolls to set the scene? Especially if the dolls have expressive faces. Has anyone made their own dolls with polymere clay? I have been toying with the idea.

Yes.  Check out my "Dolls" album

16 hours ago, Hooknink said:

I don't feel artistic enough to try doll faces in polymer clay. I think if I were comfortable with working with it I would try.

I made the heads for the Stouts (in the pub) using the push molds and tweaking the clay before baking.

9 hours ago, Lise A said:

I am working up my courage to try creating a doll with polymer clay. I have practiced  small items such as dishes an cups. I have also spent endless hours watching how to videos on YouTube and Pinterest. I have the clay, now I need the courage.

I started out with Sue Heaser's book:

for making jointed, poseable bodies and James Carrington's book:

for faces, hands & feet (I still need to work harder on hands).

Here is a pic of the Erna Meyer dolls - they have handpainted faces on a stretched fabric over some sort of hard material for the head. Bendy bodies. I don't know if they are made anymore - but they show up on ebay. There are modern and victorian versions. Very charming. 

4356170011_273bfb500c.jpg

And of course, a nod to Heidi Ott dolls which I think are lovely:

gallery_932_658_122795.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, minilover62 said:

Do this type of dolls have a brand/name? They have the woman for a mid century decoration, but not the man..http://www.elfminiatures.co.uk/1950's+woman+PWdUTjNNRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM

I just call those resin dolls. There seem to be several popular brands including Houseworks. Some of them are really nice, some are a little cartoony. I like that 50s woman. I wish they did more period versions, and I wish they did an entire family - with coordinated male/female, grandparents, baby, etc.

That reminds me - I think these are great little historical half-dolls and their clothing is very clever:

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0715/12/s-historical-society-american-women_1_a0f2c821c2411ca3819b3f8881ffd814.jpg

I found some of the best deals are on ebay for Heidi ott. Otherwise, retail can be over $100 per doll. They are very well made, tho.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-scale-Heidi-Ott-5-5-inch-ball-jointed-dollhouse-lady-doll-long-wavy-hair/371876436335

They are pricey, but worth it. Just be sure to get the slimmer jointed body if you go this route.

3 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I just call those resin dolls. There seem to be several popular brands including Houseworks. Some of them are really nice, some are a little cartoony. I like that 50s woman. I wish they did more period versions, and I wish they did an entire family - with coordinated male/female, grandparents, baby, etc.

That reminds me - I think these are great little historical half-dolls and their clothing is very clever:

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0715/12/s-historical-society-american-women_1_a0f2c821c2411ca3819b3f8881ffd814.jpg

Thanks Jenn, I just found this lot on Etsy, looks like a nice deal..https://www.etsy.com/listing/458046548/dollhouse-miniature-vintage-doll-people?ref=hp_rv

16 hours ago, Lise A said:

I found a video on how to make jointed clothespin dolls. It got me to thinking of polymer clay moulded how you want on head and arms. At least maybe for a beginner this may be a good way to start since it gives a base to work with. Just remember I get told a lot I do things the hard way. Lol

Interesting questions!

I've evolved on my thinking on this topic. I never considered dolls with my first house, must have been around 2003 or so. I just thought they looked creepy. But I hadn't been fully introduced to the incredibly talented doll artisans out there. 

Once I started going to the Chicago international shows and started drooling over work like Marsha Backstrom, Gayle Davis, Jamie Carrington and many others, that became a must have for my next house, my bed and breakfast! 

Of late, I'm so enamored with Sharon Cariola, so talented. Sadly out of my price range. 

http://creativedoll.blogspot.com/search?q=Cariola

Guest in living room