San Franciscan 555 - wall primer and wood floor

Qubanqtee

I was able to start the build and I'm moving right along - what brand primer would you all suggest for the outside and inside before I start assembly? Also, I'm making the house all white outside but am struggling with whether or not to use the wood flooring on the first floor on the porch....any suggestions for something other than that?

Edited by Qubanqtee

1 hour ago, Qubanqtee said:

I was able to start the build and I'm moving right along - what brand primer would you all suggest for the outside and inside before I start assembly? Also, I'm making the house all white outside but am struggling with whether or not to use the wood flooring on the first floor on the porch....any suggestions for something other than that?

If you are building the SF555 I STRONGLY recommend NOT priming before assembling the walls.  I would also suggest spreading a coat of spackle or drywall mud thinly over the interior walls once assembled to fill in the "seams" between the wall sections, then sand it all smooth before priming and painting or wallpapering..  You can work floor by floor.

You can also spread a thin coat of spackle or drywall compound on your primed porch floors and use a pointed toothpick to draw flagstone lines in the damp stuff before it dries.

• Like 1

I use skinny sticks on some porches.  Then I paint white,  then sand the heck out of them to look "walked" on.  You can do it directly on the wood, or make a poster board template you can set in when the house us done.  Don't forget to paint the celing of the porch "haint" blue

• Like 1

Hi Susie,

I am building the San Fran 555 right now too.  Maybe, we can help each other when trying to figure out how to put this house together.  I have only got the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor windows installed on the turret side of the house, installed the porch and doors and the first and second floor windows on the other side.  I am thinking I will finish the interior first floor with flooring and wallpaper before I insert the second floor and continue on.

• Like 1

Welcome, Susie; I used paperclay to make a stone floor for my SF557, very similar to what Holly said above:

For my SF555 (which I was supposed to have finished last year :eek:), I used a textured scrapbook paper which I will probably paint over:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017, 2:37:34, L Swearengin said:

I use skinny sticks on some porches.  Then I paint white,  then sand the heck out of them to look "walked" on.  You can do it directly on the wood, or make a poster board template you can set in when the house us done.  Don't forget to paint the celing of the porch "haint" blue

thank you Swearengin - you lost me on Haint Blue tho hahahaha

23 hours ago, rbytsdy said:

Welcome, Susie; I used paperclay to make a stone floor for my SF557, very similar to what Holly said above:

For my SF555 (which I was supposed to have finished last year :eek:), I used a textured scrapbook paper which I will probably paint over:

thank you for the suggestion rbytsdy - the house looks amazing!  Hope mine turns out like that!  What brand paperclay did you use?

On 3/4/2017, 10:27:42, 1martinimomma said:

Hi Susie,

I am building the San Fran 555 right now too.  Maybe, we can help each other when trying to figure out how to put this house together.  I have only got the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor windows installed on the turret side of the house, installed the porch and doors and the first and second floor windows on the other side.  I am thinking I will finish the interior first floor with flooring and wallpaper before I insert the second floor and continue on.

You are way further than I am hahahah, but I'm certainly game!

On 3/2/2017, 7:12:59, havanaholly said:

If you are building the SF555 I STRONGLY recommend NOT priming before assembling the walls.  I would also suggest spreading a coat of spackle or drywall mud thinly over the interior walls once assembled to fill in the "seams" between the wall sections, then sand it all smooth before priming and painting or wallpapering..  You can work floor by floor.

You can also spread a thin coat of spackle or drywall compound on your primed porch floors and use a pointed toothpick to draw flagstone lines in the damp stuff before it dries.

HavanaHolly (I always love reading your screen name because I'm cuban and it reminds me of my parents.) ok, so I assembled the wall piece without priming them - so now I should mud the interior walls and prime after drying before I assemble in the long cuts? 

I like the idea of the flagstone, thank you!

8 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

thank you Swearengin - you lost me on Haint Blue tho hahahaha

Blue porch ceilings are prevalent all throughout the South. Pale blue is not only visually expansive, but it’s also a ghost buster of sorts. The Gullah culture of the Lowcountry believes that spirits, known as “haints,” can’t cross water. Using light blue paint to symbolize water, the Gullah people applied the shade to porch ceilings and doors preventing evil spirits from entering.

Though we aren’t sure how effective paint can be against bad spirits, we can’t resist the Gullah look. The calming shade of blue adds both culture and charm to porch ceilings. We also love to bring it inside to interior ceilings!

Get the Color: Palladian Blue (HC-144) by Benjamin Moore; benjaminmoore.com.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Blue porch ceilings are prevalent all throughout the South. Pale blue is not only visually expansive, but it’s also a ghost buster of sorts. The Gullah culture of the Lowcountry believes that spirits, known as “haints,” can’t cross water. Using light blue paint to symbolize water, the Gullah people applied the shade to porch ceilings and doors preventing evil spirits from entering.

Though we aren’t sure how effective paint can be against bad spirits, we can’t resist the Gullah look. The calming shade of blue adds both culture and charm to porch ceilings. We also love to bring it inside to interior ceilings!

Get the Color: Palladian Blue (HC-144) by Benjamin Moore; benjaminmoore.com.

Thanks Kathie 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

thank you for the suggestion rbytsdy - the house looks amazing!  Hope mine turns out like that!  What brand paperclay did you use?

Thanks, Susie-- my customer wanted the SF555 done to look like Robin Carey's SF. I really need to finish the paint touchups and get it shipped.

The paperclay was either DAS or Paperclay brand. I find the former to be cheaper though a bit coarser.

21 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I wasn't able to answer as quick.  Kathie gave the perfect explanation 

Actually, Benjamin Moore gave the explanation ... I just copied it. I knew the legend, just too lazy to write it out myself. :D  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

HavanaHolly (I always love reading your screen name because I'm cuban and it reminds me of my parents.) ok, so I assembled the wall piece without priming them - so now I should mud the interior walls and prime after drying before I assemble in the long cuts? 

I like the idea of the flagstone, thank you!

When we finally got online DH & I lived in Havana, FL (a wee tiny town 12 miles north of Tallahassee, FL) where shade leaf tobacco was grown until the 19960s.

You can go ahead and slide your wall assemblies into their longframes and fit your window openings, but sometime between then and installing your floors I do recommend filling those "seams and sanding to get a smooth, flat surface to paint or paper.  (this was my first build, and I didn't do it, and if the house were still in existence I would definitely go back, rip off all the old paper & wainscots and redo ll the interior walls).

thank you Holly - didn't know Havana FL existed!  Was stationed in Orlando back in the day but wasn't there long enough to learn all the towns.  I will definitely fill them in as I certainly don't want the log look for the house.  Thanks for sharing!