Fireplace Dilemma

1martinimomma

I purchased this fireplace on eBay.  It's a really nice piece and I want to use in my San Fran 555.  Here is the problem.  As you can see by the picture that by placing it against the wall it sticks out way too far due to the way the back of it is made.  I was going to cut a whole thru the siding so it will be flush to the wall.  But, then I will have to create a chimney on the outside of the house.  The San Fran has milled siding so how would I account for the ridges when I make the chimney box that fits next to the siding?

Also, the chimney is going to be on the same side of the house as the 3rd story turret.  Do you think the chimney will look funny on this side of the house?  Would you cut the hole into the house to fit this piece in?  I can't think of a way to make a false wall in this room.

58bb2673e64a2_photo1.thumb.JPG.586b6af7a

Here is another view of the back.  It's made this way so it can accommodate the fireplace grate.  The firebox is lined with brick. The piece is number 216/500 and dated 1986 so I really don't want to take it apart to take the back off of it.

58bb24e35aeca_Fireplace3.jpg.d9c3e772100

Here is the front.

58bb2791041b0_photo5.thumb.JPG.6e6f664f7

I would appreciate any advice on what to do.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ok here's my opinion, I LOVE the fireplace it's a gorgeous piece, but I'm not sure I would cut a hole in the wall (and the sidding) to fit it through. I would try instead making a 'fake wall' to attach the fireplace to, sort of an interior chimney running from the floor to the ceilling. This could be wallpappered to match the room, and still be kept removable in case you change your mind later. But I'm a bit biased as I never permanently attach my chimneys or any other "built in" furniture. In the end it's up to you and I think an exterior chimney on the building would look great as well!

• Like 2

That is a good idea, that I hadn't thought of.  I was trying to make the false wall on the entire wall, but due the way the windows are in the San Fran I didn't think that would look very good.  I also want to keep the fireplace removable in case I would like to use it in another house sometime down the road.  

It's called a chimney breast, and it's a perfect solution for you.  Here's a post on how I built one.  Mine ended up being permanently attached, but you could easily keep it removable.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/study-with-fireplace-part-2

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/study-with-fireplace-part-3

• Like 1

Thanks Brae, that's exactly what I meant! And great tutorial ;)

I don't think an inch would be too big but you can always try a 'prototype' first, using cardstock from a cereal box or other disposable material, before cutting it out of wood.

I also made am making a chimney breast for my San Franciscan and it extends out just over an inch. I've made it out of foam core. It was really easy to do. I don't think it extends into the room too much.

I have a brief explanation on how I made it on my blog 

You experienced builders are the best.  I knew I should ask you all before I cut the hole.  I had the opening marked and the dremel out ready to cut and thought better about it.

Samantha, so glad you posted your pictures of your San Fran.  To me it looked like it would stick too far out into the room, but now I see it would look fine.

Heidi, love your fireplace it's gorgeous. 

Brae, thanks for letting me know about a chimney breast, never heard of the them, but had seen them in real houses in Illinois.  

Ashley, thanks for the first to respond, you were right all along about the false wall.

Holly, good idea about the bookshelves.  That's what I am going to do

I do plan to put some marble underneath the fireplace where it extends out into the room, beneath the brass (fender).  I guess that is what you call that brass piece.

Thanks to all who responded.  I will post pictures once I get the chimney breast made and installed.  Guess I know what I doing tomorrow on the house.

• Like 1

You could make it deep enough to put bookcase on either side of the fireplace. That's common in a lot of San Francisco houses. (I'd make the bookcase half height with the top lining up with the mantel, so it's not too overwhelming on the wall.)

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎58‎:‎50‎, havanaholly said:

An inch is not too big; remember 1 in mini = 1' in RL.  You could put a bench, a table & lamp, a bookcase full of books or books and bric-a-brac to fill the space.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017‎ ‎6‎:‎10‎:‎25‎, 1martinimomma said:

...the opening marked and the dremel out ready to cut and thought better about it...Holly, good idea about the bookshelves.  That's what I am going to do...

Unless it's a Dremel Trio and your wood piece is well clamped down, please don't use a regular rotary tool to cut with.

1 hour ago, fov said:

You could make it deep enough to put bookcase on either side of the fireplace. That's common in a lot of San Francisco houses. (I'd make the bookcase half height with the top lining up with the mantel, so it's not too overwhelming on the wall.)

I have a Rockwell BladeRunner II that I use a lot.  It's really versatile.  That's what I used it to cut it with.  I made it out of wood, wallpapered the top of the wood with a marble scrapbook paper, then used a semigloss lacquer to coat the top.  It turned out really good.  I will post pictures later.

The fireplace piece is 30 years old, and has been stored in a room box.  So, question now is what kind of bookcase would you make/buy that would go with the fireplace?  I am never going to get the stain to match,   I don't want anything to fancy because the fireplace is such a nice piece I want it to take center stage in the room.  I have been looking for pictures and I did find one that used a cabinet next to the fireplace.  What do you think about this idea?  See below.

c143c9ee4abd173bffb67755ca0d9cbd.jpg.da6

• Like 1

You could do a sideboard on either side of the fireplace for symmetry. Maybe painted in a neutral colour so as not to take away from your fireplace. Or if they are both in the same wood colour and it's complimentary to the fireplace colour, that could work too.

It's not unusual to see different wood furniture in old houses. Usually the occupants have collected over many years, rather than buy everything matchy matchy from a big box store. :)