My first dollhouse is built!

38 posts in this topic

oh my goodness it's just wonderful! I wish they would have made the kit in 1/12 scale..it's way too little for me to make now that im one of the old gals :(

1 person likes this

Ashley, I absolutely love EVERYTHING about your house! It's stunning! The details you put in this has made it a true masterpiece! 

2 people like this

hi, wow this is so lovely i have this as my first dollhouse too.

1 person likes this

Liola, please post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

Absolutely GORGEOUS!  I'm almost done my first build and it's...well, nothing like yours :) I think I love your sketches most of all. I think you could print those smaller, and frame them to put in your house, like architectural drawings. They're just beautiful and really show off your artistic ability. 
Thank you for sharing!

1 person likes this

Very very special, and it is stunning. My maiden name is Fairfield and  I have been planning doing this house for many years, the small size put me off but I have found recently that bigger is not always better and your house is telling me to get going. I grew up in a vicarage that had a secret room in the tower .

Thank you for sharing, it is an outstanding job, truly magical,even my favorite colors!! Well done and well done again.

1 person likes this

Words escape me at the moment. All I can do is echo what many have already said....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be happy if my first house turns out 1/10th as good as yours!

Congratulations!

Bill Brown

Edited by WBrownIV
1 person likes this

Ashley, you did a beautiful job on your house...it's a home that I'd love to size myself into and just lose myself in.  Really really beautiful work - thank you for sharing it with us!

1 person likes this

I just love this house. Can you tell me what you used to paint the brown parts? is it stain or paint? Craft paint?

On 23/11/2018, 21:15:39, asherah said:

I just love this house. Can you tell me what you used to paint the brown parts? is it stain or paint? Craft paint?

Thank you, I use water or alcool soluble stains to darknen the basswood. To be more specific I use aniline (fenilamine) based powders that you can find in many stores that sell wood treatments, they come in diferent colors and can be mixed in solutions at diferent ratios to get the intensity and color you are looking for. There is a product in specific we like to use in furniture restoration work that we know around here as "vieux-chêne", it's wholy organic and very safe to use. Add in diferent color pigments and you can pretty much get any natural wood color you can think of. Hope that helps! :)

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Fairfield Flooring and Wallpaper
      By LeFemmeFatale
      Me again!  SO. I've finally created all my custom wallpaper and printed them all out. I also have started cutting down and staining all my individual coffee stirrers for my flooring. 

My question is this: for the Fairfield, since the layout is so complex, I can't figure out if it would be better to lay the flooring down before I put up the walls, or to wallpaper and assemble the walls before I install the flooring? I know everyone says it is preference, and that if you dry fit, you'll be able to see tricky spots before you do it, and decide that way...but for me, the whole thing seems tricky hahaha. Also, I am not wiring for lighting, so that component doesn't matter either. 

Is there a benefit to doing wall assembly first vs. floor first or vice versa? I am going to paper the walls before I install them in either case, if that makes a difference. 

Thanks friends! 
    • Hello from Rhode Island
      By LittleHouse
      Hello! I'm new here.  Some things about  me:
      I have always loved miniatures.  As a child, I had a large Ginny doll collection, a treasured dollhouse baby from Germany, and lots of little plastic dolls from the dime store.  When I learned to read, “The Raggetty Paggetty Dollhouse” and The Borrowers were favorites. This is my first dollhouse. I’ve come close to buying one many times, but nothing was ever quite right.  Then I saw The Fairfield! It was love at first sight. I like the way its rooms are at angles and not just a set of boxes lined up in a row.
      I’ve already been browsing the posts of Fairfield builders on the forums. I love the suggestions and advice and seeing all the different ways of doing things.  So far I’ve made the base and the staircase and done LOTS of dry fitting.  I hope to use what I’ve read to make my first dollhouse a good one, but I hesitate to take a step that can't be undone!  Sometimes I think: Hmmmnm there may be something to be said for those houses that look like a set of boxes lined up in a row ;-) 
      Linda
    • Refinishing 1:24 scale furniture
      By LeFemmeFatale
      So, I've found a source for a bunch of 1:24 scale furniture for a decent price, but the problem is, I don't love the finishes. Originally I was thinking I would just paint them all so it wouldn't matter, but because they are hand-carved wood, I'm now thinking it would be nicer to stain them all. Is there any way to do this without destroying them? I mean, half scale is so tiny, is it even possible to sand the current paint/stain off of them in the first place? 

I don't want to buy them unless I know I can refinish them, because it's an investment of over $400 (oof this is a pricey hobby!) 

Thanks all! <3 
    • Creating My Own Wallpaper Designs
      By LeFemmeFatale
      Okay, so, I have had a problem trying to find exactly the right wallpaper to use since I am going for a very specific theme for my house, and I am VERY picky. I did find a few scrapbook papers that were the right design, but the scale is off for the Fairfield. 

Then it occurred to me that I am a former graphic designer, and I could just create my own wallpaper designs exactly how I wanted them (DUH). My question is with scaling. I am not good at math, and don't know anything about wallpaper...so I'm wondering, aside from printing out a ton of samples and wasting a bunch of paper and ink to see what looks right, is there some kind of mathematical formula or conversion chart that might tell me roughly how small I should scale my design down? 

I know that in 1:24 scale 1/2" equals 1 foot..but the problem is I don't know how big a wallpaper print should be in real life. Example, for a damask design, how many of the damask flowery pieces would occur in a foot in real life? 

Does any of this make sense? lol
    • Fairfield Wallpaper (I know)
      By LeFemmeFatale
      Okay guys. So, I've read hundreds of posts about this, but I'm still a bit confused as to when/how exactly to wallpaper this thing. Yes, I know it's personal preference, but most people seem to agree that because of the size and complexity of the Fairfield, that it's easier to wallpaper the walls before assembly. However, when you do this, doesn't it look strange in the corners where the walls meet since the paper won't be wrapped across the corner? And then won't the bay windows look strange as well because the edges won't be connected? 

Also, if you wallpaper before assembly, how do you glue it together without messing up the paper? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm just so confused. 

*Side note: does anyone out there have an actual video of how they wallpapered the Fairfield? I've seen lots of videos on how to wallpaper other houses, but no one on YouTube seems to have documented the Fairfield process, just the finished product. 

Thank you all! <3