*sigh*

me-barbie

A friend of mine died of cancer the other night. We've known it was coming, but still. The last few months I have taken my coffee breaks and gone up to her room when I could. 5 yrs ago, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 colorectal cancer. I swear, she willed herself to live long enough to see her youngest child graduate and hit legal age. Within weeks of him graduating,  she found the cancer was not only no longer responding to chemo,  but had spread to her liver, brain and spine. She went for radio therapy, complications resulted in paralysis. We raised the money for a ramp and electric chair, so she was able to go home for Xmas. Small pleasures become large ones.

Note I don't say she fought, or lost the battle, or any such terms. She hated that with a passion. In the 5 yrs since her diagnosis, she came into her own, and lived her life to the utmost. Sometimes our humour got black, but that was how we were with each other, lots of laughs at ourselves and at life. I shall miss her.

7 hours ago, me-barbie said:

A friend of mine died of cancer the other night. We've known it was coming, but still.

Even when we know it is coming, when someone dies it's like somebody turned out a light. On -- off. Just that quick. We feel a sense of loss, but as our eyes/brain/heart acclimate to the darkness, we again begin to see and know the loved one is still with us. Prayers for her, her family and friends.

• Like 2

You have my sincerest sympathies as you grieve the loss of your dear friend.  Having just lost my father on New Year's Eve I know your pain.

{hugs}  Such good memories with her you will hold dear. Good memories....

12 hours ago, me-barbie said:

A friend of mine died of cancer the other night. We've known it was coming, but still. The last few months I have taken my coffee breaks and gone up to her room when I could. 5 yrs ago, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 colorectal cancer. I swear, she willed herself to live long enough to see her youngest child graduate and hit legal age. Within weeks of him graduating,  she found the cancer was not only no longer responding to chemo,  but had spread to her liver, brain and spine. She went for radio therapy, complications resulted in paralysis. We raised the money for a ramp and electric chair, so she was able to go home for Xmas. Small pleasures become large ones.

Note I don't say she fought, or lost the battle, or any such terms. She hated that with a passion. In the 5 yrs since her diagnosis, she came into her own, and lived her life to the utmost. Sometimes our humour got black, but that was how we were with each other, lots of laughs at ourselves and at life. I shall miss her.

I'm totally with your friend on the terms fight and battle......although it must seem that way to some.........I remember when I first came on here whining about my own ailments.........Havanaholly aka the lovely Holly told me that if I woke in the morning on this side of the dirt then it was a good day..............There's been a lot of good days so far!

Condolences for the loss of your Friend Barbara

When I lost my dearest sister, I hurt so bad I couldn't stand it.  Part of my healing was to build a house as a tribute to her and what she loved doing.  She was a chef, and owned a little soup and sandwich shop in AR. You can see my tribute  on pinterest.  It's the "TLC" (a bash of 2 older house kits).   Build a house in her memory,  it helped my healing.

• Like 1

When I was building the Laurel (my first real build) my 34 year old friend, mother of two little girls, was dying and I will always remember sanding and painting while I cried buckets. 

May you have abundant grace and be comforted with good memories,

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

*Update*

When I posted this back in March, there was no funeral or service, at Jenna's express wishes. I was fine with that, funerals are really for the living. Jenna had already gone on.

A few weeks back, her oldest child posted that, rather then, and I quote "a sad and boring funeral", a camping weekend in August was being organized, and all who wished to attend were welcome. Camp, or bbq, or enjoy the bonfire, doesn't matter. 

Now that's Jenna. I am sure she will be dancing in the sparks of the firewood.

• Like 2