Sacramento Name House Party?

kokomo

I'm not sure I understand what a NAME house party is exactly. Could someone please help me out?

The Sacramento NAME House Party is coming up and I'm wondering what it's all about. I see that it's 3 days long and the general public (me) is allowed to go on one of those days. What happens during the other two days? Do you have to be invited to be a NAME member or can anyone become one? Is the house party a convention?

It sounds like so much fun ... I'm really looking forward to the public day.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, kokomo said:

I'm not sure I understand what a NAME house party is exactly. Could someone please help me out?

The Sacramento NAME House Party is coming up and I'm wondering what it's all about. I see that it's 3 days long and the general public (me) is allowed to go on one of those days. What happens during the other two days? Do you have to be invited to be a NAME member or can anyone become one? Is the house party a convention?

It sounds like so much fun ... I'm really looking forward to the public day.

Thanks!

Anyone can be a NAME member. You can join a local NAME club or be an individual member. Membership is $45 per year.  The house party you mentioned is really a convention. They have workshops and other activities and opportunities to purchase minis from dealers. A non member can go shopping from a variety of mini dealers and view exhibits but cannot take classes or attend workshops.

Thanks, Sable :)

Is that what the Good Sam show is, also? I went to that one last year and was wondering about the workshops. Isn't there an IGMA club, too? Is that the international version of NAME? I guess I'm just trying to understand the miniature world a little bit since I'm beginning to see references here and there to a few of the clubs and organizations. Anyway, I'm excited for the Sacramento show. I spent all 3 days at the Good Sam show last year and had a blast!

IGMA is the International Guild of Miniature Artisans and one must apply and be invited to join, as being a miniature artisan of a certain standard of excellence I required to become a member.  I believe that the Good Sam shows are regular commercial miniature shows,  like Molly Cromwell's and Tom Bishop's shows. 

Toni, you have to register for Good Sam's workshops ahead of time but they're open to everyone. They announce them in June on their website, or if you gave your address when you went last year you might get a flyer in the mail this year.

Holly, are there ever IGMA shows to go to? I would LOVE to see those! I've never heard of Molly Cromwell or Tom Bishop but I'll be sure to google both of them tonight.

I don't remember writing my address down last year, Emily. I'll make sure to do that this year. Thanks for the link to the website. I really want to try a workshop! Are they hard to get into? By that I mean, do you have to sign up immediately once they're announced?

Thanks for all of the info!

The IGMA show has always been held in New York but has been moved to Hartford Connecticut will be in September. http://www.igma.org/ 

The best miniature show (in my opinion) is the Bishop Chicago International held in Chicago every April.  http://www.bishopshow.com/

My second favorite is The Good Sam Show.  I have not been to the Philly show, so can't comment on it, because I have to change planes to many times to get there. Domestic flights have to be nonstop to avoid problems.

I could get lost in the IGMA website. The talent exhibited is just breathtaking. *sigh!*

Thanks for the information on all of the shows, etc.. Someday I hope to have the means to travel around the country and see some of them. Fun, fun!