Just received..

Mythmara

I am new to having a dollhouse, though have thought about it for years!  Just received a basic built Greenleaf Mercantile. Plans are to decide between siding and sand/glue stucco. Then roofing. Perhaps interior lights before interior finish. Think i will enjoy this trip. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the little family, Mara.  I have been building on a Brimble's Mercantile for a while.  I don't wire my houses.  I made the upstairs of mine into living quarters for the owner (whom I have not yet made).  Mine is a home goods store, and will hold whatever furniture and accessories I have made/ collected until I build a house they can go into.  I will finish the exterior with my usual stucco finish of spackling compound or drywall mud.

1 hour ago, Mineejv said:

Will plaster of Paris  work like spackling or dry wall mud?

Interesting question.  I like spackle & joint compound/ drywall mud because I can apply them with my fingers if I need to.  Plaster is exothermic and gives off a lot of heat as it dries so if you mixed it thick and applied it as it was starting to dry you would want to use a putty knife or similar to apply it.

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

I think plaster of Paris might crack if there is even a little torque created in working with the house. I'd stick to joint compound

1 hour ago, Mineejv said:

I think I will stick to joint compound to be on the safe side.  Do I prime before the joint compound?

Good. I don't think you need to prime before using joint compound. Several of us rub it into the raw edges to smooth them.

3 hours ago, Mineejv said:

I think I will stick to joint compound to be on the safe side.  Do I prime before the joint compound?

I prime if I'm going to carve "stones" into it, since the primer becomes my "grout".

How fun! Great choice for a first build, it's wise to start with a smaller house and you can have lots of fun practising making minis for those shelves :D

5 hours ago, Mineejv said:

It does, but I would recomend doing very thin layers and let each one dry really well before applying the next, too much moisture on the wood is not good. I'd also sand the surface before starting and prime it with a coat of water based paint.